Monday, August 22

Don't Wanna

Work.... nope.

Not feeling it.

This week's dinners? Why, sure!

S - Leftovers bonanza. Actually a pasta bonanza, because that's what the leftovers happened to be. But no one complained (shockingly), and there's now room in the fridge.
M - Hamburger sliders baked in the oven. Easy and yummy. Probably with tater tots.
T -Smoked Sausage, mac-cheese and broccoli
W - Chicken, potatoes and green beans. Pinterest For The Win.
TH - Pasta with meat-ah-balls.
FR - Kate's going to a sleepover so we'll wing it (yay for winging it!)

[Alright, fine... I did some work in another Tab while I was writing this. I guess I still have some work ethic, and a desire to knock the quick, easy things off my looming to-do list... aren't Mondays just the worst?]

----------------

We had a school event last Friday night, an annual picnic/cookout that we've attended all 8 years we've been there. It was a good time, despite the sprinkling of rain going on throughout the evening. We came home with three dirty kids, I'll tell you that (one was a friend), but the burgers were good (and free), and there were lots of side dishes. You know I love the side dishes.

We mostly chatted with a couple we met at the very first one of these picnics, and with a family who's new to the school. I was happy to be able to help welcome the new family, since they have kids in both Alex's and Kate's homerooms. And the long-time friends are definitely some of my favorites; friends I know I could call on for help in time of trouble, or invite out for fun and expect an enthusiastic "yes." I'm so grateful. It's a wish that I wished long ago: to make friends.

But later in the weekend I caught myself thinking, all of this is temporary. One of these days, these friends will be part of the past, most likely. We'll move on to different high schools, our kids will make new friends, and, if I'm honest, my elementary and middle-school friends definitely aren't high on my list of "priority" friends anymore. My own parents DO keep up with parents of some  elementary school friends of mine, who lived across the street from us... but that's about it. Besides Facebook, of course. So that made me a little sad. The thoughts grew bigger, to, "Well, all of Life is temporary, actually...." and that made me feel really melancholy, mostly about these friends.


Unless, I guess, I dig deep into my faith and pray that I'll get to hang out with Ashley, Matt, Susan, Rick, Julie, Mike, Emily, John, Ellyn, Stephanie, Karen, Yvonne, and maybe newbies Wendy and Andy, in heaven. Not to mention all my other friends who, for now, aren't in my daily life but remain in my social media news feed. College friends, high school friends, work friends... and those of my kids whom I've yet to meet. Then we'll have a cookout for allllllll eternity. ;) It seems far away, of course. And it seems a little odd to think about, but perhaps it's something to hang some hope on.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Nice post. I am apparently feeling entitled not to work because it's my birthday. Seriously, I actually seem to feel that way. Reality check. Also, we hung out last night with two friends who retired a little early from Delta. Their lives are so good right now -- just relaxed and rich. I think that feeling rubbed off. Reality check again.