Monday, August 29

In the House, On my Feet

My back hurts this morning, and I figured out why while driving to work. I piddled around the house all weekend, doing Not Much Really, just things like decorating bookshelves, vacuuming hard-core, and laundry/ironing.... in bare feet. DUMB. Old ladies must wear supportive shoes, Self, even in the house! Otherwise backs will hurt.

I had a pretty nice weekend, though, in the house on my feet. I had bought some bookshelves for our living room, so I dusted them and put pretty things on them! Not too many. Trying to keep it classy. ;) Of course by the end of the weekend I noticed a plastic bucket with Dory on it had made its way onto a bottom shelf. That room gets a lot of toy action even though it's the "formal-ish" living room. I guess growing up, Jill and I used our parents' formal living room as a gymnasium. I don't feel like we left toys all over it, though. 

Kate spent the night with a friend Friday, and was picked up right after school by them, so Alex and Shawn and I enjoyed some quality time. We let him watch the first episode of Stranger Things, since Shawn and I loved it so much 3 weeks ago. I think Alex liked it, but didn't have the immediate '80s connection like we'd had, obviously. Still, it was fun letting him be a big kid (lots of language in that show, I hadn't realized!)... and he basically put himself to bed afterwards, around 10:30. Since Kate was gone, I also got to play a card game with Alex on Saturday. Not regular cards, but one of The Kids' games, with Attack points and Health points and Life points and oh my goodness, it was a lot to keep up with! It was an easy version of this type of game -- I'm not sure I could handle anything harder!

Saturday morning we met with a new piano teacher. She is going to be just great; I'm setting high expectations. She was delightful to talk with, so kind to Alex and I can tell, an excellent teacher. I bet I'm more excited than he is. I might have mentioned I would like if both my kiddos loved music, and I think the seed is IN THERE, it just needs some really good tending. I think this lady is the one to do it. I'm also starting to consider when we should get Kate into piano. Maybe next year. Her musical training happens in the church choir currently, but the excellent director is leaving. :( I don't know who will take his place. Watching the situation to see what happens next.

And Kate survived her 2 weeks of good behavior, and got her ears pierced yesterday! WOO-HOO! I was worried she'd chicken out, but she didn't. She cried, yes, which I knew would happen.... but in the end we got it done. She chose a pretty little purple birthstone and looks So Grown Up I can hardly believe it. This morning we French braided her hair so the newly acquired sparkle was most visible. :) 

This week's menu:
S - The Pepperocini Beef recipe that was so hot online 2 years ago. Finally tried it. I loved it, Alex tolerated it, Shawn thought it was okay I think, and Kate spit it out (too spicy). It WAS more spicy than I expected. Might or might not make it again. Also had veggies and ranch, and deviled eggs.
M - Dirty Rice with ground beef. Getting all our iron in, early in the week!
T - Tuna Casserole. Haven't made that in a while and everyone likes it.
W - Chicken Parmesan with garlic bread and salad. Yum.
TH - Fish Sticks and Popcorn Shrimp, I believe. My choir rehearsals begin again (mixed feelings), so Thursday has to be quick prep.
F - It's the first night of a 3-day weekend so we'll see! Might have to order pizza to celebrate. ;)

No comments: