Hey-oh. Friday again! I'm still working on the Product Catalog I mentioned 2 weeks ago. It is kicking my butt with its blah blah blah brand style intros and tone-of-voice subheads. (ooh, but Shan just said she thinks my most recent draft looks great, woot.)
My tally for August was 21 days out of 30 walking. Achievable stats: More days than not, I did some exercise. Not counting calories burned, not really aiming for a certain number of minutes per week, just: more than not. This I can do. Just returned from my Friday lunchtime walk on the Office-Perk trail. It's not too hot in the shade, and most of the trail is shaded. :) I'm looking forward to an early morning 30 minutes tomorrow. Must wake up early!
Kate wants to do everything this year. She's newly signed up for Art Club and Basketball, on top of her already full schedule including choir, Girl Scouts and gymnastics. But I'm all for it. Try them on for size. Art Club is just after-school, and she's there anyway in Aftercare. In fact, why they don't offer MORE clubs during Aftercare is a question. Anyway, basketball was something I enjoyed, the years I had good coaches, even though I was pretty terrible at it. Team sports, thumbs up. The school has also started a Run Club, where you have to participate in a 5K Run or Walk each quarter. Families encouraged. I kinda like this idea and Kate brought it up, too, and Alex could earn service hours for it... so maybe. HA! See what I mean? Everything!
Alex is, meanwhile, paring down his activities. He decided against gymnastics, is barely attending Scouts (but oh, we're hopeful he'll finish some rank advancements before December), and chose not to be in the fall Drama Club production. But it's okay. (Piano is going well and he works on his YouTube channel.) His homework-load is definitely increasing and he's handling it beautifully so far. He's my steady, instinctively organized kid.
(In fact, an aside: it's funny to contrast the two kids' bedrooms. Alex, much like his Daddy, keeps everything put away. Well, pajamas on the floor, but they're neatly piled on top of slippers, out of the way. He's an old man because he sometimes puts them on the minute he gets home from school. Kate's room is chock full with stuff taped on the walls and little "areas" everywhere; this doll's bed, that table for Art Stuff, pillows and of course, the outfits she sheds multiple times a day, and shoes, all over the floor. Sheets totally askew on the bed. Cracks me up. I just try not to care. It's not like anyone's seeing it. ...oh wait, next week we have cousins coming to town! I predict a straightening-up frenzy.)
Our new rule to limit screentime to homework, weekends, or selected family TV watching, after dinner, is working. No one's even really whined about it. Kate's snuck up to her room a few times and we've caught her playing iPhone games or watching YouTube, but I think we've managed to put a stop to it with Disappointment and also Warnings that weekend time could also be cancelled. So.
Even I was disappointed with this week's dinner menus, except Sunday. If I can recall:
S - burgers on the new grill, yummy, with baked beans and potato chips. We even ate outside.
M - Hibachi restaurant on Labor Day (i dunno)
T - sausage, spinach and parmesan pasta. Totally made up by me, and accepted by all, surprisingly.
W - chicken patty sandwiches
Th - fried chicken from the Publix deli, potato salad, fruit from a can
F - pretty sure it's going to be Brinner. Which is supposed to be easy, btw, but always seems to take me 3 pans and a lot of jumping around to make it happen all at the same time. Eggs, pancakes, bacon... jump, hop, turn, flip.
Merrily we roll along! Bummer that it's just a TWO-day weekend, but I'll take it.
3 comments:
Your cooking brinner description is funny -- so true.
So funny - we've got the same thing with Madeline this year. 8 must be the year of All Things! We've got tap, ballet and jazz classes along with piano; later in the year there is basketball and softball. I love that her school has clubs afterward though - I would SO love for her to be able to do something like that during her time in the latchkey room.
I love that Alex is doing well with and enjoying piano. I'm hoping SO hard it sticks here but practicing can be tough. Any advice there?
And YAY for you on 21/30!! I think that being intentional is so important; sounds like you've got it down. :)
bessie, no ideas about practicing! We're still working on it (and not very successful yet). For us, having a muuuuuch better teacher is going to help, I have a feeling. She's more engaging and more engaged than any of his previous teachers.
Only other thing I can think of is bribing. ;) We have a McD's on the way home from lessons... just kidding - he's not the kid of mine who's motivated by food/ice cream.
Post a Comment