Monday, September 26

Two best things

Two of the best things my sis and I have done together, lately:
Dad's surprise 70th birthday party 5 years ago, and Mom's less-surprising but also amazing 70th birthday party this past weekend! :)

I'm going to tell you about this weekend. We had fun surprising Mom via email, that we both planned to come to Florida to celebrate with her. We knew she wouldn't want us to just show up one Saturday, especially if she already had plans for a pedicure or a DAR meeting or something, and then bring 25 people to her house with no warning. So we told her in August, I think. Something to look forward to!

We made lots of yummy food after a fun sisters' grocery-store run (and liquor-store run) Saturday morning:
  • Sweet Potato and Bacon skewers -- as delicious as they sound! Sprinkled w/a brown sugar and cayenne mixture that gave them just the perfect level of sweet/spice! 
  • Maple-Bacon Crack -- also delicious and decadent... but these weren't as crispy as the recipe promises. They were soggy and sticky, in fact, and we didn't serve all of them.
  • Green salad w/cranberries and spiced pecans
  • Veggie tray w/hummus AND Ranch, because we're just that crazy
  • Fruit and Cheese
  • Meat and Crackers
  • Rotel dip and chips (it's not a party without them)
  • Turkey Roll-ups w/cream cheese
  • Frozen Mini Corn Dogs for the kids
  • Cake!
And our signature drink, an Apple Pie Moscow Mule that you must try! So delicious! I could have had three of them, I think! (I only had one.) And I'm not usually a MMule fan, I'll admit. But these were light and delicious (apple-flavored vodka!) and now I need my own set of copper mugs!

Of course, it's not all about the food. (Most, but not all.) ;) We had fun with Mom and Dad's friends from next door, our awesome cousins and their spouses, our favorite aunt and uncle, and all of the next generation, too. I feel like I was a sweaty mess (working in the kitchen and chasing the youngest kids), but I had fun. Only person I didn't get a chance to talk with was (as usual) Shawn. We laugh about that a lot, after parties. But then again, I guess we talk to each other most days so it's cool. ;)

Sunday morning the kids got a quick swim in, in the backyard, and then we had to head home. Weekend, you were too short!

But I've been thinking about Time, this morning, after a little stress last night when Kate couldn't fall asleep and I got frustrated because of it. I realized I rely so heavily on my carefully calculated schedule to get through weeknights, that when my plans/schedules get disrupted, it causes me stress. But if I could just LET GO of my arbitrary rules about time, I'd be better off (and a better mom). Because all time is limited... and all time is also infinite. We have nothing but time. Sure, it HELPS me to get a full night's rest (I really like getting 7 hours exactly)... but if my lunchbox-prep gets pushed later than I'd like, for whatever reason, it's not going to kill me (unless it becomes a bad habit)... I should let time run, do what needs doing, in whatever time it takes, and just TRUST that God will give me what I need to get through being tired the next day. For example. I have more thinking to do about this, but it is a welcome insight.

Anyway, our time together over the weekend was much too short, but it was just what it was meant to be, and what we were given, and therefore it was perfect. :)

Love you, Mom. Happy birthday tomorrow.

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Do you ever hear yourself saying things like "I have exactly 10 minutes to read to you," "we've got to hurry -- it's almost 8:30!" "we won't make it if we don't leave right now!" "time to get in the tub -- we've waited way too long." And you think you wish you could just ease up?! I am the always-late time nazi.

Sherry said...

But I'm better than I was before Madison's anxiety episode.

ya-ya ma said...

It was the best birthday (and birthday party) ever !!! I can't believe you and Jill (and Shawn and the kids) went to all that trouble. I know it was a huge effort for all of you to come for such a short time (time, time, time!!!). But I appreciated it so much!! I still get all teary thinking about it and going over in my head all the fun. And the delicious food, mmm. Just wonderful! Too bad about the on-again, off-again a/c. It's mostly better now (but I'm not sure it's all better). Anyway... my heart is full and I feel so blessed. You and Jill are the best kids ever!!! I love you!! xoxoxo

Lee said...

@sherry, meant to answer your question that YES, YES, I am also the time-nazi and I need to cut it OUT! nag, nag, nag! Though I did see a headline this week saying that girls whose Moms nag them turn out to be the MOST SUCCESSFUL. HA!! The Internet is always right (let's hope)!