I'm thinking of these Monday-morning blog posts like gas-pedal-pumping on an older car — a necessary step to get her going.
Despite having a new, clean desk/cubicle, work's all the same, same, same. Yesterday I was thinking, do all marketers just eventually run out of ideas? Can I use that logic to switch careers and become something else entirely, please? I have run out. All the marketing speakers and thought-leaders are saying now, to copy the work of others. They mean for you to use your own photos/taglines/etc., but do just go ahead and use other peoples' ideas. It's okay now. See something that works, online? Do the same thing. Nothing new under the sun, why bother even trying?
- - - - - - -
Over the weekend, on Saturday night, I hosted the 3rd party of three that were planned for this fall: Moms' Night In. Out, really, because we sat outside on the back porch in pretty, pretty weather, finally!, at the patio table with umbrella that Shawn bought me (us), that I love. I went out Saturday morning to buy some red mums and 2 little succulents plants, to spruce up the very utilitarian metal shelf we have out there. It helped 100%, along with a pretty candle lantern from Pier 1 on the table. (And yes, I will do my best to take care of the plants, Darling Husband. They'll probably have to move where they can feel the sun for best results, but see? I've already looked up "how to care for fall mums.")
Everyone I invited came to the party, and they all brought fun party foods and wine. Lots of different dips and crackers and even goat cheeses (YUM), salads and several pumpkin-y treats since IT'S OCTOBER! (what?!). Conversation was lively, of course, including gossip about who may be pregnant again, and teasing the PTO president about which snot-nosed punk might have pulled the fire alarm two weeks ago (she wouldn't budge). I thoroughly enjoyed it all, from the prep (lighting candles, listening to my Bruce Hornsby Pandora station) to the clean-up — no, really! — and am, again, grateful to Shawn and the kids who let me kick them out of the house for a while. I hope I was fully present to my friends. It all feels like kind-of a blur, now, but I think I had a great time. And no, I only had 2 glasses of wine, so it's not that -- it's just, various hostess duties kept me from sitting in any one place too long, I think, so I never quite relaxed. But I did laugh a lot, and I feel so comfortable with all those ladies, and I think they appreciated the time together — it had been a while. All good.
I think I'm all filled up on hostessing for now. Well, except we did talk about inviting Andy and Pam over for Sunday football watching one day soon. We totally should. ;)
- - - - - - -
This week for dinner:
Sunday: Crock pot BBQ meatballs, egg noodles, and green beans/potatoes in sauce (from the frozen aisle, and were a disappointment)
Monday: Spaghetti w/meat sauce, garlic toast and a Caesar salad
Tuesday: Chick Fil A or Zaxby's or Jimmy John's, because it's Kate's first basketball practice at 6pm and then gymnastics at 7:30, and HOW are we going to add something to the schedule?! By eating fast food.
Wednesday: Hate to tell you this, honey, but it's going to be ham steaks. The kids eat it and we haven't had it in a long time. With corn and mashed potatoes. And you're cooking. ;) Love ya, mean it.
Thursday: Pizza bake. Fruit salad. Carrrrrrbs.
Friday: I get a half-day off, so I can cook something delicious with chicken thighs, I hope. No... wait, just remembered, there's a party at school that night to celebrate the Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award. Woo hoo! Kitchen is closed Friday night!
2 comments:
Yay! Ham Steak....note to self - eat a big lunch on Wednesday.
lol, Shawn
Post a Comment