Morning/Magazines
Today's morning rush was a little bit XTREME, mostly because I made the conscious decision not to prep lunchboxes last night. First time this year! But also because it is time, once again, for the school's magazine drive bullshit, and I had not yet read any of the instructions (naturally, this year they've "changed it up!" meaning the procedures are slightly different than the last EIGHT years we've done it) nor placed any orders ...and today was the first turn-in day and don'tcha know, the kids want their plastic keychain prizes.
I am FINALLY WEARY of this particular fundraiser. WHY does it need to be so complicated?? Several turn-in-days, and prizes they can ONLY get - like an Out of Uniform Pass which everyone wants - if they turn in X orders on X day, and if you also order this SPECIAL item you get DOUBLE prize points, but it can't be ordered online like everything else, you have to turn in a form and money by hand... and also can anyone volunteer to donate magazine subscriptions to the Libary slash come in and help count orders?!
Can't we just have a box of chocolate bars? Those suckers seem to sell themselves.
Anyway, if any of you reading this is kind enough to place an order (MOM, thank you), my prize-obsessed kids and I thank you. I asked Alex last week if he was ready to be "over" the prizes yet. (I think last year it was plastic duck keychains, the kids all collect them and wear them around all week). He had a hard time answering and was willing to consider letting Kate take all the orders this year. But when it came down to it this morning, he waffled. I guess the lanyard is a bit of a status symbol, still. Maybe a maximum of one duck will be just ironic enough to be cool in 7th grade? Let's hope. Sigh.
The main reason I wanted to remember this morning, though, was that the kids HELPED OUT. They made their lunches (...ish. Kate put a sandwich in her lunchbox and when I asked her if she grabbed a drink or anything else, she made big eyes at me like, "I was supposed to do ALL of that?" but still...)! They (Kate) got ready on their own! Kate didn't require me to French braid her hair, for once! It was lovely and magical.
Earrings
Kate and I had a doozy of a time last night trying to replace her piercing earrings. Her 3 weeks (accelerated) probation period had ended and she was SUPER eager to put in new ones. But lo and behold, those ears are a little SORE. And finding the hole in the back was not easy. She cried and cried and I kept my cool (mostly), but when you start a process like this before 8, and are still not finished at 8:56, it's a LITTLE frustrating. She finally let me -- FINALLY -- touch the earring and I found the back hole with no problem. And with one side done (!) we called it a night. *wide eyes* We have to do it again tonight and I just can't wait.
Bless her heart.
Cousins
Ohhhhhh, but we had a fabulous weekend. The Cousins came to visit and we hosted a party Saturday night (meaning we prepped most of the day Saturday, when we weren't singing for a wedding (me) or taking the kids to Kennesaw Mountain, (thanks Shawn)!!), then went to Mass and a Braves game on Sunday. It was all awesome. For the party I made a triple recipe of chili, with white rice or egg noodles to choose from, a veggie tray with Ranch dip, cut watermelon for the kids, and one of the creamy corn dips you find on Pinterest, called "Crack Dip" (I hate the name). We also made Rice Krispie treats for dessert, and took a cue from my parents and had Bluebell ice cream cups for the kids, too. They were in hog heaven -- they ran around the backyard, mostly, and the adults drank a little wine and were able to have interesting conversations.
I was just so thrilled to have a party. I mean, yes it's a lot of work, but it just filled me up with happiness to have family there. And to be a hostess - my inner Martha was content. I don't know if it's the act of serving I like, or subconsciously, the compliments I get about a nice dinner, pretty home, or what, but it satisfies me. I always go back to this concept, too, which stirred my heart when I first read about it. Simple meals, not-pristine homes, TIME TOGETHER with people we love. That's what I like my weekends to be about. (some weekends, I should clarify!)
Seeing the Braves play was icing on the cake. Especially because they won (and I had a new team t-shirt to wear, ha)! It wasn't hot outside, we had great seats, all the kids were sooo well-behaved, and I've loved that team (and that stadium) for a long time now. Because of a rain delay, we even got to watch a whole documentary on the big screen, about the 1990s when the Braves were on top! It was the best. Exhausting, and I fear Shawn's coming down with something, but so fun all around.
1 comment:
Madison's school does a Fun Run for its fundraiser. The kids have to ask for pledges -- $1 or $2 per lap. They run a lot of tiny, short laps. I loved this fundraiser for year one -- we got pledges from grandparents and aunts and uncles. The second year it was okay. But the third year -- I simply cannot ask anyone except my parents (whose pledge I paid, actually, because Mom is recovering from back surgery and they apparently aren't checking emails) for money! Can't do it! I might be able to sell some pecans or something. Maybe.
Way to go on hosting a party. Really.
Post a Comment