Friday, August 4

Documenting Summer

Today's the last day of summer vacation. Poor kids, it seemed really short this year! I guess it was 9 weeks total (but we used to get at least 12 when I was in school). Anyway, I gave Carli the babysitter a gift card to Bruster's ice cream shop and told her they're free to have ice cream for lunch today if they want - it's also her 20th birthday so that works out well. Told her on the card, "Sorry you have to work on your birthday -- adulting stinks sometimes!" Because it's TRUE! hahaha I am so funny.

Anyway, what I wanted to be sure to do was make notes on all the amazing things these kids did over the summer, mostly at my parents' house in July 2017:
  • Monday -- They got up early and drove to Marianna, FL, with Tom and Dominique and Angie and Scott and their kids, to see the Florida Caverns State Park and go caving. They'd never been inside a cave like that before, I'm so glad they did it. Afterwards they went to Ponce de Leon Springs State Park, and swam in the springs! Cold water - only reaches 64 degrees in the summers I think! But of course, kids don't mind. Apparently they were very brave to swim over a large, deep area and just had a blast in general. That was just the first day!
  • Tuesday -- was July 4th. So they went to Aunt Lorry and Uncle Paul's had hamburgers and the usual fireworks and a party, including swimming, with their cousins again. It's basically always a party there.
  • Wednesday -- I think they played all day but in the evening they did an Escape Room! All the rage. I have never gotten to do one, myself, but I hear they're fun! The cousins all worked together really well, I'm told, and they got out with 13 minutes to spare! Then went out for ice cream. 
  •   
  • Thursday -- Since the across-the-street cousins went out of town on Thursday, Mom and Dad took Alex and Kate to Pensacola Beach, to other-cousin Angie's condo where they watched the Blue Angels practice for their weekend air shows. I mean. Awesome, right?! Lunch, a perfect view of the show, plus they didn't have to actually be out ON the beach where it's hot and sticky and crowded. Perfect! And they'd never seen the Blues, I don't think. Maybe Alex did once, when he was around 4. 
  • Friday -- Friday might have been their only "unplanned" day, actually, and I think by that time they were ready for one. But what's better than hanging out at your grandparents' house? Not much, I'd say. By the way, they both also finished their summer math packets while they were in Florida, and I think they both read one summer reading book (out of two required). NOT TOO SHABBY. The kids always say they LIKE doing summer math at Mom and Dad's kitchen table, after breakfast, while the adults do their crosswords. My parents are miracle workers. 
2016 was just as memorable, if I remember correctly. I don't find a blog post about it, so: They went to see a play (Shrek, Jr.) at the theater, visited a bird sanctuary (odd but fun, I was told), toured the Guy Harvey exhibit at the Pensacola Museum of Art (loved it - they're both big Guy Harvey fans now), they had swimming parties, played with their cousins, I feel like there was another somewhat epic activity but I can't recall what it was...maybe fishing? Mom, help me remember it so we can record it for their descendants. ;) 

Hiking every week at Kennesaw Mtn. Nat'l Park
or Pine Mountain in Cartersville
Carli has been amazing again this summer on the weeks at home. She's taken them hiking at least once every week that she's been with them, and to the pool twice a week. She's taken them to piano lessons. Dropped them off at friends' houses. Enforced piano practice (a little bit) and reading. Played Monopoly at least once. Some days, she's taken them to Target or Justice or the bookstore, just to look around, or I'll give them money for lunch. One day I said, "Here's $20 - spend it on lunch or divide it for shopping. They chose shopping, and each got something small/silly. She washes the dishes they use for lunch by hand, and even empties the dishwasher if I've run it the night before. Kate told me the other day that sometimes Carli "disciplines" her -- if Kate whines or doesn't want to take a shower or something, Carli gets firm and Kate doesn't like it. Neither kid likes it that she makes them use sunscreen lotion instead of spray. But I'm okay with all of that. I'm unsure what to do next summer. Alex will be nearly 14, and then will turn 14 in July. Does a 14-year-old need a babysitter? No. Pretty sure none of his friends has one any more. Kate's another story, of course, and gets bored without some kind of entertainment... We'll have to talk about it. 

Yesterday's Meet the Teachers went really well. Kate's desk is in between Calli and Reese, her two besties. Prayers answered, a dream come true! The troublesome girl IS in her homeroom, so that's not great, but I hope it will work out. The teacher is a friend. Alex's locker is on the end, near his friends, too. It's going to be a great year. 8th grade, his last year before high school. How did we get here so fast? I'm trying not to think about it. 

No comments: