Monday, October 29

Taking My Medicine

I was taking my 10-minute work-day walk just now -- gotta do it even if I'm not wearing running shoes -- and trying to encourage myself to take it every day, like medicine. What will we call it?

  • malaise medicine, where malaise is just like 'asthma' so the meds are indeed necessary
  • brain medicine, because a daily dose really does keep my brain from getting too squirrelly, if I'm consistent
  • smile medicine, because it makes it easier to do so
  • joy medicine, because I'm on a quest for joy
I suppose any of those will work. :) I forget to take it all the time, though. 

I'm feeling good today. I have a new sweater, because this past weekend, Saturday night in fact, I had uninterrupted shopping time all by myself at a department store. !!! And it was really quiet in there  because it was a Saturday night. I tried on things and bought two tops, two pairs of jeans, and a new purse I'm in love with. New purses are THE BEST. My only complaint about the trip was that I saw a mother-daughter duo in there together, showing each other cute things, and I wished my mom and I could shop together regularly. Darn me for moving to Georgia all those years ago.

Speaking of mother-daughter, shopping Not-with-Kate is also THE BEST. God bless her. I'd like to suspend shopping with her until she is a working adult and can afford her own stuff. Then, Shopping Dates, sure. Yesterday, on an errands-run to Target, she got a kick out of pushing my buttons just because. She knows I get frustrated when she stops at EVERY display and says, "Ooh, look, Mom, we NEED one of these (random useless things we do not need)!" She did it once or twice for real (she needs a new watch! (ok, fine.) She needs a new pencil case! (no she does not)) and then once or twice as a joke. Finally, I caught on. She told me later it's fun to mess with me. GIRL.  !!!

---- 

We're on Pain Watch 2018. Carpal tunnel, I believe, so it's Tingly Wrists but also Left Elbow this time. I can't turn my palms up with a straight arm, without pain. I've been on regular ibuprofin since last Thursday, and it's not helping much. Tonight begins a wrist-brace regimen while I sleep. (Remember when? Check out that baby belly and that old-school camera!) And no downward dogs. Sob! It is hard to do yoga without using your wrists/hands. Argh. Getting Old Sucks. 

----

Work has been better, I think. A big project -- our yearly magazine -- is going quite well; somehow the words have come just when I needed them to. In one instance, the article I couldn't feel inspired to write was miraculously replaced with a different article I wasn't aware was coming. Serendipity. There has been plenty of work to fill my days, so they seem to go by faster. We're not having High Drama, although that's always a possibility. And today I was informed I got a 2% raise and a year-end bonus (tiny, but still). 

All in all, a pretty good start to Halloween week. A neighborhood party to look forward to... I'm making hot-dogs in mummy-wraps (crescent dough) and I have a new witch hat to wear. I also bought the good candy (Reese's, Skittles, Airheads, Smarties, M&Ms)... You?

3 comments:

suzanne day by day said...

Those daily walks ARE just like medicine! Such a good analogy. Maybe if I think about walking/exercise like that, I will do it more often??

I went to a department store by myself the other night too -- it is AWESOME, right? Being there at night, when there are so few customers... by yourself, with no impatient little one nagging you to go home or to buy some unnecessary treat. Almost as good as a spa day, right?

Lee said...

yes, really! spa day! :)

You have posted so many good things lately, I have wanted to comment on every single one, but I typically read them super early in the mornings and then feel self-conscious about being the FIRST! comment on every post! But:

--SAME about the BFF. Don't have one here, nearby. Wish I had one. Or my sister. SAME SAME LONELY if I think about it too hard.

--SAME about Babysitter woes! I always felt awkward about asking them, and have to remind myself how much I loved having that easy income when I was in my early 20s! I babysat a lot then -- IN FACT, I love to tell people, I babysat SALLY YATES' kids for a year or 2! YES! THAT Sally Yates! heehee. But it's hard being the Mom, and having to find/keep a babysitter. With A&K now 14 and 10, mostly I don't need to anymore, except for long summer days when I'm working (my nemesis).

Sherry said...

YES to every single thing you wrote! I NEED to go shopping! I would LOVE to shop with my mom. So many things on me HURT! Just praying my back/hips are going to get better someday -- it's been months with this. Big work project going well so far -- long way to go but will make it and then YAY, January!!! And I buy the good candy. :)