Monday, November 5

Planner planner planner! Excitement!

After reading all of SHU's careful reviews, and getting more and more curious about what setting goals would actually look like (what are ...goals?...) I have just clicked "Place Order" on a 2019 Golden Coil planner that I customized. I am so excited!

Really, what I like about SHU (Sarah Hart-Unger)'s goal-setting is the reflection afterwards. She sets yearly, monthly, quarterly (or quintile, this past year) goals, and then looks back to see how she did. Somehow she does this without judging herself as harshly as I usually do. That's why I stepped away from setting goals, years ago. I got too discouraged if they weren't met. But she's got me hoping maybe I could do it again, more gently. 

I've long used a notebook at work, for note-taking during meetings; for years, it was also my weekly to-do list. This year I switched to Outlook Tasks for work to-dos. I like it. And I think I've said that Shawn and I use shared Google calendars very successfully to plan our parenting lives -- I'll still use both of those online tools.

But I do love a paper planner. In fact, I was a Franklin-Covey user when that system was popular. I remember the actual store in Lenox Mall. Also, my Mom has forever used a desk planner/calendar and I loved it so much I used the same system in college (At-a-Glance Weekly). So this will be fun.

Maybe I'll do some planning/goal-setting during my first hour of work, when I'm typically doing stuff like that anyway. Maybe I'll carry it around with me in my purse and it will become my go-to. Maybe it will inspire me to work on improving my penmanship (one of my first Goals, actually)! (It has gotten even worse as the years have gone by. Sorry, Sister Anne-Mary. I also legitimately blame carpal tunnel.)

I think I'm also excited because it was a little gift to myself. I'm not always good at buying THINGS that are just for me. I see them as extravagances that I don't need. So this feels nice. It feels like self-care. Kindness.

No comments: