I will admit to a bit of pre-party stress, just wondering how in the world I would get it all done before 6:30 p.m., the published start time. However, I woke up early enough to my yoga workout for the day, and to have coffee/breakfast in relative quiet, and I used that time to Make A List, which was critical. For sure it helped my mood, to start out in a peaceful way. But man, I had everything on that list:
- Publix - pick up cake and deli tray (and other food) 10 a.m.
- call in wings order - 11 a.m.
- yoga
- make taco dip
- make tea
- decorate dining room table
- cut vegetables
- move cats' food and litter box to upstairs bathroom
- sweep hallway
- unload dishwasher
- meatballs in crock pot 3 p.m.
- buy beer, wine, Ranch dip I forgot, and pick up wings - 4 p.m. SHAWN (thank you, honey!)
- makeup/get dressed
- clean bathroom downstairs (whoops, I just realized I never actually did this one)
It was so soothing to check things off the list. Alex went with me to Publix and kept me sane ("Don't you think we need another bag of another kind of chips??" ..."uh, I think we're good, Mom.") Sweet Kate helped me with decorating - she wanted so much to HELP. So I let her write the letters on the Pinterest-y banner (bought from Party City, definitely not crafty enough to make myself!) and it turned out super cute.
She also sprinkled confetti on the table after I'd put out the tablecloth, and hung up little golden spiral-y streamers on the ceiling with masking tape.
After that she kept begging me, from about 2:00 pm until 6:00, to put out the food, and I had to keep fending her off. Bread and cheese do not sit well for that long, I had to tell her. Again.
The weather was terrible. The coworkers, many of them, were sick and texted to say they couldn't make it after all. We joked that if it was just us 7, well, we'd have a lot of taco dip and beer to enjoy and we'd change back into our comfy pants and fuzzy socks. But then people DID show up, and even brought sweet and funny gifts, and said lovely things and ate some of the food (not all, we have a LOT of food leftover), and drank wine and beer and tea and water and had side conversations and told good stories.
All in all, I was proud of us, and glad my parents and his mom came in from out of town, and it felt special. I hope it did for him, too. This was a fun moment, and probably a good indication:
2 comments:
You did it!!! The decorations look great and what a happy, contented smile in that picture! Sounds like it went great. Congrats!
Glad to hear your party went well.
Post a Comment