I survived last week by skipping the choir rehearsal/party and I'm not even sorry. Then I skipped Sunday's last choir Mass, too! (Related: I read an article recently that made me mad about the church in general. It will take me a long time to process my feelings about it, but it aligned with what I already think/feel about the current, and centuries-old, situation; it made me want to skip church anyway, never mind about the singing. But that's another topic.)
Today I got some stuff for Care Packages for the kids at camp next week. It gets harder every year! I found: Haribo gummy bears; packs of gum; small crossword books; glow bracelets for Kate, a football finger game for Alex (he's 14 - too old for crappy toys but what else goes in a care package??)... no nuts, of course, so that rules out most everything yummy.
On Saturday Kate and I went to the outlets and found a couple of good Memorial Day deals. The one and only store I got to shop in just for me, was the Maidenform store, and if that didn't make me feel OLD, jeez! I have needed new bras forever, so it was a must-do errand. I found some bras in a new size that do fit me; however. HOWEVER. Once I got home and wore one, I realized exactly HOW old-lady they are. They're very high coverage and while I don't normally bare cleavage, I do have a few v-neck and scoop-neck t-shirts and these bras will not work. I feel like the center front comes all the way up to my neck! I'm going to have to take half of them back. The other half will just have to be my winter sweater bras, and I'll have to keep looking. You'd think a girl who worked AT a bra company would do better about wearing the correct bras, but you would be wrong.
Other than that, we shopped at Vineyard Vines and Palmetto Moon, where I bought my first Simply Southern t-shirt. That brand is so uber-popular here right now, I couldn't stand to not have one -- Kate already has 2 or 3 -- and the one we found is cute (Kate picked it). I plan to wear it all summer.
I was in a mood most of the weekend. It was partly because I am not sleeping well. Carpal tunnel wrists are no joke, and have been really achy lately in bed. Would a new mattress and pillows help? Maybe, and we will be investigating that soon. Would working out help? Probably. And it helps sleep in general, which ought to be a clue to me. I've let working out slide again, with the busy-ness of the last couple of weeks of school. Those weeks are just impossible.
So it's summer! It's so HOT, already, in May! What is that going to mean for June and July?! I'm scared to find out, and scared to send Alex to Band Camp in that heat. Yikes. He won't like it, I fear. But maybe they find ways to cool off, who knows. We've been swimming once, all of us, next door at our very generous neighbors' house, and we did an impromptu backyard hot dog dinner that night. Here's hoping for more of those.
The kids leave Sunday for camp. I know we're going to breathe a little sigh of relief once they're settled in, and we will enjoy our two weeks of nightly news, late dinners on the couch, whatever we want to do, and no whining. It'll be lovely! (And then I'll miss them like crazy and want them home.) I do keep wondering if Alex will want to go again next year... especially if he enjoys Band, and/or wants to get a job next year, or or or.... guess we'll just have to see.
I've been making summer treats. We got a new popsicle mold so we've made juice pops, the best one being a fresh strawberry-watermelon pop that I plan to repeat frequently. YUM. I haven't tried the grape juice pop yet. Also pulled out the old ice cream maker, and made a batch of Reese's peanut butter ice cream. Delicious! I'd have that kind of stuff for dinner every night if I could get away with it. Instead, here's the menu:
S - we had our Hamburgers/baked beans/chips Memorial Day meal on Sunday
M - Creamy One-Pan Chicken and Rice, with steamed broccoli on the side
T - Dinner Salads with (Tyson) oven baked chicken tenders
W - Spaghetti
Th - Crock pot BBQ shredded chicken sandwiches with pasta salad
F - Quesadillas and cheese dip/chips
8 comments:
I enjoy your head so much. Thank you for sharing it. I planned to read the article, but it was really long and I should probably work today! I skimmed it though. Our church splitting off from the Episcopal church in protest of gay clergy and marriage led to our not having a church right now. I know there are people in every church with views different from mine, but for the whole church to expend all this energy and money on what seems to me to be hatred and judging ... anyway. There is a lovely little open Episcopal church downtown but I haven't seen any kids there and now I'm too lazy and wonder why bother except for Madison oh lord don't let me mess up the child.
Not sleeping -- it can destroy you. I'm so much better now that I do yoga every day -- it has changed my life for sure -- but I still have nights like last night where I sleep very little. Sorry about your wrists.
Sherry, I have to ask about your yoga. Are you taking an in-person class? Doing videos (which)? Is it "high intensity" American, "get your sweat on" yoga or less so? I do it as much as I can, too, but if I get "off" my schedule, it's so hard to get back on for some reason.
(also would love to talk alllll about all the church things. I feel you!!)
I'm doing YouTube videos! I have been doing Sarah Beth yoga since December last year. I'll do the shorter ones if I'm doing other exercise that day (walking or biking), but I do the 30 minute ones if that's my only exercise for the day. These last two weeks, I've done a few Heart Alchemy yoga videos. Madison has done some of those with me (it's too hot to bike to school these days), and she likes them better because Sarah Beth is very ab/core focused. Madison doesn't like ab/core work at all. I like them a lot, too.
When I'm doing the longer (30 minute) videos for my only exercise, I pick the power ones. The ones I like best are the "vinyasa flow" where you are moving kind of fast, but I know the Sarah Beth strength ones are good though hard. I think she has some wrist issues. I know she has one video that's "hands-free" for when your wrists are hurting. I haven't done it.
Awesome! Thanks for the rec, I will look up Sarah Beth! I'm a huge fan of Yoga With Adrienne and she's got a similar library, it sounds like, but it's good to mix things up. :) Cool you can get Madison to do them with you. I can't seem to keep Kate interested.
The Adrienne videos look great. I will try those! I'm hoping Madison will keep it up some this summer. I don't know. We'll see!
I tried an Adrienne power yoga (complete with jumping jacks and squats) and it was a more intense workout than the ones I've been doing. I can see having a hard time wanting to do it!
Haha! This is why I rarely do the Power Yoga ones!
So... is camp done? How did it go? I would love your thoughts on sleep away camp -- my daughter does day camp and loves it, but I feel like it's such a huge leap to sleeping somewhere that's not in my house! I don't think she's ever done that before! How old were your kids when they started going? Any pros/cons? All your camp thoughts, please!
Post a Comment