THREE different things got me well and truly fired up over the last several days. Let me tell you them:
1. An idiot kid posting threatening things on SnapChat, scaring students at Alex's high school so much that they were walking out of class immediately on Thursday. Supposedly, this was a kid who was expelled a few years ago from HHS, and was known as mentally unstable. He didn't mention HHS specifically, only warned "Don't go to school tomorrow if you know what's good for you," or something similar, and it spread like wildfire, scaring parents and kids alike. I saw some administration commentary indicating they had the situation under control with police, but: We had to have a family talk about "Do we send you to school and risk YOUR LIFE if a bomb or shootout is planned? Or do we keep you at home, needlessly interrupting your work if nothing at all happens?" We love him so much, and I know he knows that, but we decided, based on what we knew, that "we will not live our lives in fear" and sent him to school. He said, heartbreakingly, that he felt pretty safe at school in general, and the only thing he'd be a little worried about was his 2nd period class which takes place on a main hallway (the rest are in basement classrooms well away from doors). And I mean, GODDAMMIT. No kid should have to have that kind of understanding of how a shooting works.
It is unacceptable that this was our reality, even once. He went to school SCARED -- he might not admit it, but any amount of going to school nervous/scared is TOO MUCH. I went to work praying Hail Marys and "St. Michael the Archangel, Defend Us in Battle" and had knots in my stomach most of the day.
Nothing happened, ultimately. A lot of kids were absent on Friday. (The school admin had said it would be excused.) County police did contact the kid and I imagine he was properly intimidated. I hope they told him making threats is NOT OKAY. I'm glad we trusted our guts and the systems in place for safety... But STILL.
When administration finally emailed parents Friday around noon, saying they had increased security presence on campus and not to worry, the kid had been handled, I cried. Didn't realize I'd been holding so much stress in. I have a lot more curse words in me about the whole situation.
2. A possible schism: I don't know if you know this, but there's division happening in the American Catholic church. Mostly online, on Twitter, but I discovered it is spreading to "real life," too. There are Very Conservative "Rad Trads" (radical traditionalists, I think), and there are more progressive "Pope Francis/social justice" Catholics. One of the more well-known progressives is Father James Martin, a Jesuit priest who happened to write a popular book about how the Church should be welcoming and loving to our LGBT brothers and sisters. It's called "Building a Bridge."
We have 2 new-ish musicians at my parish, we'll call them Chrissy and Glen. I've enjoyed singing with Chrissy because she tends to love the 4-part harmony, traditional hymns more than the feel-good guitar songs -- and I agree with this, musically. She also really likes this young priest we have (that I can't stand) who is super rigid and preaches about Church Rules and nothing else. All the time. You're a Sinner and don't you forget it. (Barf. Not helpful. Give me something to hold on to, not more guilt.)
Anyway, Glen joined Chrissy and me in the music room this past Saturday night before Mass, and asked if I had met a new seminarian who has just arrived. (I haven't.) "Oh yeah, his name's Ben," Kate chimed in -- she had met him at a school assembly. Glen went on, with an obvious eye-rolling look toward Chrissy, "He's... building a bridge.... Have you heard of Fr. James Martin?" And I put it allllll together and realized these 2, G and C, are clearly part of the Rad Trad crowd.
It was such a quick little comment, and of course with Kate in the room I didn't want to get into it.... But YES, I know who James Martin is, I actually really admire him online. Are you saying Ben is gay, Glen?? Is what I thought to myself. I should have played dumb: "What EVER do you mean??" and made him explain himself. It was just a jerk thing to say. Who cares if Ben is?
Regardless, I don't like the idea that the schism is going to take place right here in my own tiny circle. Just.... No. Don't bring that crap here.
3. A Moms' text thread: Basketball is about to get started. Here's the backstory: Kate has played since the 3rd grade, and her little team of girls has won exactly 1 (o n e) game in all that time (she is now in 6th!). Sunday we got a note saying there were only 5 girls signed up for 6th grade bball, and the athletic director is recommending they "play up" with the 7th grade girls, unless they can get at least 3 more 6th graders registered. Fine by me. Sounds like good experience to play up. No biggie.
Well. One of the moms is all, "Our girls won't get any playing time!" and "We don't want to do this, we need a 6th grade team!" and I don't get it. WHY would you want to field a team with only 5 girls (or even 8)? It means they'll have to wear themselves out playing entire games with no subs. They won't ever win. They won't have a fighting chance! Who CARES if they play with 7th grade?!
I was so annoyed. I wasn't going to argue, but this 1 mom (whom I don't like anyway) kept texting. Finally I said my piece: "I'd like them to win once in a while. If they're outnumbered by every other 6th grade team, I feel like that's less likely." No one argued back. (SO THERE.) Maybe I should've kept out of it but I didn't think they were thinking straight.
All this drama!! Too much for one weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment