Wednesday, September 4

Big Kids

A sophomore in high school, 15 year-old boy, who has a learner's permit to drive. And a sixth grader -- middle school, who does her own hair and definitely does NOT want to wear clothes from Justice anymore.

These are big kids living in my house and it's surprising sometimes. They take care of themselves (mostly). They manage their time and homework (pretty well). They shower without being asked to do so.

They both have such great personalities. You know what's awesome, with bigger kids? Joking around. When someone comes up with the perfect sarcastic one-liner, and everyone gets it, and it's FUNNY. We have some of the best laughs around the dinner table lately.

I have to share a photo that I just found on the Band parents' FB page: 

Newest marching clarinets C. and Alex
I just need to get one of him in his shako and plumes, with his instrument, so you can see the full pomp and circumstance. But THIS KID! I am so proud of him. C. next to him is a freshman, who looked like a deer in headlights the first few days of band camp. I think (hope) that Alex has been able to welcome and guide him along as he gets to know high school, just as a kid named Nick did for Alex last year. I hope that these two will be good friends -- the kid behind them is the only other male clarinetist, a senior. I bet the 3 of them have fun.

We have had fun. From the first home football game, when Mom and Dad visited and went with us, to the most recent Saturday band camp days with mini "performances" at the end for parents, to the first away game last week, we are learning the ropes and sitting on a lot of metal stadium benches. I've volunteered as a chaperone a couple of times, a seamstress a couple of times, and just last weekend, a concessions server (and Shawn was a Grill Dad). Hoo boy, it is a lot! But it's the best lot -- I'm having the time of my life. 

Guess what starts this week? Kate's middle school Drama Club. They are producing Aladdin, Jr. in January. I already have a volunteer title for that, too! And I'm feeling not stressed, but "BRING IT." I'm so excited for these two, and just love watching them do really impressive things.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Love this. And I also love big kids. So much fun.