Friday, November 8

Crunch Time: Grand Nats, Tgiving, Xmas Plans, and Books

Turned in 3 time off requests today, for the day before Thanksgiving, December 16th, and the 2 days after Christmas. I have one more I need to turn in, for a couple of days after New Year's, so we can go to Pensacola to meet my soon-to-be-new-BIL. :)

This is definitely crunch-time with fall activities and pending holidays. Whew, I mean, yesterday Kate had Drama rehearsal, which I chaperoned, from 3:30 until 5:15, and right after that, she changed her clothes and ran up to the gym for a rescheduled basketball practice from 5:30 to 6:30. We got pizza on the way home. No cooking on a day like that! 

I have found one trick that helps me feel relaxed during crazy-long days -- reading. When we're at home in the waiting-hour after we get home but before Alex does, if I sit down and read for a few minutes (I usually set a timer so I remember to get up and start dinner), I feel less stressed. Sure, I could vacuum or clean a bathroom, and probably should... but instead I read. Last night I tossed a book in my purse and read while Kate played ball. I guess it's the ultimate leisure activity for me, so it helps me feel leisurely, even when things are busy. Tip from me to you. 

Important to have a good book, of course. I gave up on The Shores of Tripoli because life's too short to read books that aren't captivating. Sorry, Mom, I hope you liked it (I gave it to her for Christmas last year and she passed it back to me). Instead, I'm revisiting something from my childhood: Homecoming, by Cynthia Voigt. This was my favorite book of all time, forever, until I discovered Jane Eyre, I guess. I got it for Kate to read since I was about her age when I read it... and she almost picked it up a few weeks ago, but went for a graphic novel instead. Not sure how I feel about that and I hope she won't skip it entirely. But I am LOVING IT. I remember nothing about it, really, except that I thought it was very deep and wise, back then. And it's a 3-book series, so now I have plenty to dig into slash take with me on our upcoming road trip...

to Grand Nationals! A phrase we knew not, until 6 months ago. Bands of America's final marching band competition of the year is held in Indianapolis, and this year our band is participating. Hoping to take home a trophy! And we decided to go to support them, as a family. I think it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip for Alex, since the band doesn't go every year. So yeah, I want us to be there. 

We're having quite a countdown, with flurries of messages and emails from the Band Boosters, events and practices and send-offs and goody bags and so much to do. Ironing the uniforms, gah! A full-day mini-camp for the marchers tomorrow, and a Parent Performance at the end of it. Not to mention a bit of drama from Kate about missing two days of school. Pfft, get over it, child, you get two days out of school! I can sense the beginnings of a small panic about packing, and about all the other stuff we have to do because the days leading up to the trip are just NORMAL DAYS... and and and... stopping to breathe now. 

I want to think about my Thanksgiving menu, and I have, a little bit -- mostly desserts. Really, I can't think about it until after this trip. Still, here are the three things I want to maybe make this year. Three desserts?? For 6 of us? Yes, maybe. 

1. A Cherry Pie. Because we don't really like pumpkin pie, and you know who likes cherry? My Dad. And me. 
2. S's pumpkin bars!! I am super excited to discover this recipe and definitely want to make them instead of p. pie. 
3. Maybe something chocolate. I can't remember if I have a trifle bowl. Maybe...? If so, this looks easy and yummy. Or possibly something more cake-like. 

The dinner menu is so defined, not much room to wiggle, you know? So desserts are what's up. ;) 

Okay, I really should get to work, eek. Happy Friday, people! 

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I just LOVE reading your blog. You are the BEST! Yes on reading making the days seem okay! Darryl has gum surgery today, and I have to stay there with him, and after I study my lines for a bit, I get to read, and that makes today a good day. I have never read the Homecoming series! Madison and I are in a mother-daughter book club, and so today I'm reading My Life as an Octopus, which sounds as if it has some similarities to Homecoming. Fun to read that kind of book sometimes. I've been reading the JoJo Moyes trilogy that starts with Me Before You, and while I'm enjoying it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I forced myself to read a Pulitzer winner, Olive Kitteridge, and that was excellent, I thought, but I didn't have it in me to read the follow-up. Right after that book, I read the Alice Network, and it seemed so dumb after Olive Kitteridge that I was embarrassed to read it. So, I could use any suggestions you throw out there! I've been ironing costumes for Madison's play for a week. Was there all weekend helping out. Sound of Music. Lasted 3 hours and 20 minutes. Madison was barely in it. It was quite painful to watch most of it. But I'm THRILLED she's doing this and hope she keeps on with every show they do! Go, Alex!

Lee said...

Ooh, thanks for those recs! I know I've been hearing so much about Olive Kitteridge, so that's going to have to go on my list. I've read several of Kate's books lately, at her request. I didn't like Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo, but I did like the One and Only Ivan. As far as adult books, I liked Where the Crawdads Sing, which is everywhere lately, top of the bessellers lists for a while now... and I read something called A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer, not my typical style but it was compelling enough.

you're so right, the middle school dramas ARE kinda painful, aren't they?! But still, amazing that they can pull them together and I'm glad, too, that Madison is doing it! Awesome! Following in her talented parents' footsteps!

Sherry said...

I recently read Where the Crawdads Sing -- very good! Realized suddenly yesterday that the middle school book's title is The Benefits of Being an Octopus, instead of My Life As .... I put A Prisoner of Birth on hold -- thanks!

ya-ya ma said...

I also like cherry pie. Not apple. Cherry. I'm glad you're thinging about Thanksgiving. It has been on my mind, too. What do you want me to bring?
I'm not reading at all. Too many other things I have to do.