Hard to believe we have arrived at the end of the year and the holiday season! With Thanksgiving so late this year, everything feels like we're already late/behind, though. Not good! I am trying to envision a looonng December stretching out in front of me, to make me feel like there's still enough time.
Mom and Dad are driving to Atlanta as I type this from my desk at work. Festivities are about to begin! The kiddos are at home, sleeping in and, if Kate follows through with her plans, she's drinking coffee-milk (cafe au lait) and making a fried egg on toast. (This is her favorite breakfast lately.) She'll do her laundry this morning, and hopefully clean her bathroom -- Alex cleaned his yesterday. Such good, helpful children! Who are they? ;) wink wink. We were surprised that we didn't get any flak from Kate about being home "alone" today. Perhaps there is light at the end of that particular tunnel!
I put a chicken soup into the crock pot this morning. Creamy Italian Chicken Noodle Soup, to be specific. I've never made it before so I'm taking a risk, but it sounds delicious to me. Here's hoping! Will serve it with cheese and crackers, and French rolls. Because we have to eat something tonight, and tomorrow (Honey Baked Ham, salad, and homemade mac and cheese casserole), AND Wednesday (I'm hoping we'll go out)! Even though we are making a giant meal on Thursday! What's with that?!
I'm fighting a cold. Alex came home with it from Indianapolis -- I guess 8 hours on a bus with a bunch of grimy kids will do that to you -- and I guess he passed it on to me. I'm on DayQuil today, wishing I were at home under a blanket but hoping for the best. Thankfully I don't think it will be a difficult workday.
For one, we're having our office Thanksgiving lunch today. It's a concept I kind-of don't care for. It's turkey and dressing and sides from Cracker Barrel, and I'm sure it will be delicious, but... we're having that already, on Thursday, at home. Why duplicate it at the office? I would rather have an appetizers party/lunch at the office, I think, to mark the holiday but not RUIN the meal that we're all waiting to eat on Thursday. What say you? Oh, well, I should be grateful, and I am. I didn't have to make a lunch this morning.
For our actual turkey day, we're roasting a turkey (with sausage dressing inside) -- no fancy brining or any of that for us. I'm also having mashed potatoes (I realllllly want to try this), sweet potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, Sister Schubert's rolls, cranberry jelly from a can (and whole-berry, but also from a can), and an apple moscato wine I found at the store that looked festive. And I did buy ingredients for cherry pie and pumpkin bars! I can't wait.
There has been talk about seeing Frozen 2 (at least some of us), and we are proud subscribers to Disney+, are you? There will be some movie-watching going on this weekend! Also, I just downloaded the free (public domain) Kindle version of Jane Austen's Emma, because I realized I've never read it before. So I'm definitely looking forward to the "downtime" portion of the holiday.
Wishing you and yours a lovely time, too! Tell me about it! What are your plans?
2 comments:
I totally agree with you about the work lunch - why duplicate the meal everyone is gong to eat Thursday??? And I don't know about you, but I am DONE with all those foods after Thanksgiving... so I can't imagine eating them twice. Probably I am an anomaly though.
Also - I know that there are so many ways to make a turkey, but if you ever consider brining a turkey, it is very easy and I do think it helps keep the bird moist. I MASSIVELY overcooked our turkey this year, and yet it was still magically moist and delicious. Anyway. Not pushing at all, but just gently saying it is not as much of a pain as it seems.
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it is a wonderful, delicious time with family.
Yes on the work lunch -- no Thanksgiving food! This week and Christmas week are the very busiest at the theatre, so I've been in a mild panic that is just now slowly easing. Got the theatre decorated for the holidays yesterday -- that was a big chore to check off. I was so tired afterwards that I took our joint parking pass home with me and had to drive it back to the theatre. Madison, lovely girl that she is, rode with me and we took a dark walk on the battery and picked up incredibly delicious philly cheesesteak sandwiches (actually she had something "healthier") on the way home so the night turned out nice. I'm in a show tonight and Madison is having a sleepover, so I may make an early hamburger for Darryl and me. Have to go to the grocery store and cook a lot tomorrow. Tomorrow night -- uh, salmon maybe? Madison wants to make homemade pies, and the girl doesn't ask for much, so we're doing it -- even the crusts! Then Friday Darryl and I are in two shows. Hope there are some leftovers for Madison. And then Saturday Darryl has two more shows while I rejoice that the hard week is over and revel in whatever the day brings!
Post a Comment