I dug out my square wooden plates/trays that were a wedding gift, and we used them to have lunch on the couch one day -- again, in "little things" revelations, Kate said, "This is so fun!"
We spent Saturday evening in the backyard, with a fire in the fire pit and some games of cornhole, complete with s'mores made using Easter peeps. (I now think it's the only way to eat them.) It was a lovely night. I still want to buy plastic Adirondack chairs, though.
And then we had Easter Sunday, subdued. I saw several people post photos of their families dressed up anyway. We did not do that, lol. For once, my tendency to wait until Holy Week to shop for Easter outfits didn't matter one bit. We watched Mass in our PJs (painful, again, since Kate fussed the whole time about having to do it), we opened baskets during the homily, and then had to get over being grumpy to enjoy the rest of the day. Ugh. I just can't, anymore, with video Masses. Felt I had to for Easter, but I'm out. I did make a traditional Easter dinner of ham, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, etc. But our hearts weren't in it, I didn't think.
This week it's furlough for me and the kids are back to online school-ish. Yesterday I was really productive, cleaning out a closet in our kitchen that is where we keep recycling, cat food, and random other junk. It felt really good to get rid of things we weren't ever going to use, like silver chargers that are too big for my dining room table, a Captain America waffle iron, and about 15 old cookbooks that have not been opened since 2002. I did a load or two of laundry, and some filing in the office.
Other notes:
- I'm currently out of half and half, so guess what? Using Redi-Whip in my coffee, and not even sorry.
- I'm using my old carafe coffee maker, not the newer Keurig, because those pods are more expensive than regular coffee, and I'm also drinking more than 1 cup (more than 2, even) these days at home.
- I have worn a scarf-as-mask at the grocery store only once. I'm not seeing everyone at my stores wearing them, not even all the staff. I feel guilt about not wearing one, but ugh, it's awful. I really hope we aren't forced to wear them all the time. I have some things I need to return at Target today or tomorrow, and I guess I'll wear it.
- I called our vet, who had advertised house-calls for annual checkups. That would be so much easier than packing our cats into their carriers! But they will charge a fee for it, and annual checkups are already pretty expensive.... so I don't know.
- The Archdiocese is holding out on cancelling the rest of the school year, even though the Georgia governor has cancelled public school. We got a letter yesterday saying Catholic schools will remain closed until May 8, and reevaluate at that time. I think they're being ridiculous.
- We (us, Jill, Mom and Dad) had a virtual happy hour last Friday, and it was fun! Planning on it again this Friday. We're trying to drink the same drinks -- last week it was White Russians -- but also use what we have on-hand. Doesn't matter, really, but it's fun to try.
- Finished the 1,000-page book. It was great, but really strange to be reading about the Bubonic Plague from the 14th century, During These Times.
- My fervent prayer lately is just that things are back to somewhat normal by August, so the kids will be able to go back to school. I will grieve for Alex if marching band is cancelled. This week, he's applying for a leadership position in the band for next year. I've made peace with this year being called off. But if it extends into next... I just can't think about that.
- We all need haircuts but we're too chicken to try doing it ourselves. Alex said he doesn't like his so long, but I figure it's as good a time as any to see what he looks like with longer hair, since no one of consequence is seeing it. It's definitely the longest it's ever been in his life.
- I only have 2 Reese's eggs left in my freezer!
4 comments:
Redi-Whip -- so AWESOME! lol
Good job, cleaning out that kitchen closet!!
I bought Reddi Whip for Easter dinner. I have been using it on top of my Mocha Frappe knockoffs but haven't thought to use it in my morning coffee. I'll have to try that!
We just got word yesterday that schools are closed for the remainder of the year. OBVIOUSLY it was coming, but I am still so sad. My daughter cried and cried when I told her. :-( Like you, I hope fervently that next year still happens with at least some degree of normalcy.
I sort of want Adirondack chairs, too. Sort of, because your dad wouldn't be able to get out of them. I hope you get some.
Post a Comment