1. Liver cysts: Back in June, while we were in Destin, Shawn started feeling a sort-of pain in his side. He assumed that he'd pulled a muscle while tossing Kate around in the pool, because she is definitely too old to be tossed at age 12. (She still loves it, though, and he's Fun-Dad enough to do it.) He waited for the feeling to subside but it never did, so finally in mid-August, he went to his primary care doc. She recommended an X-ray and ultrasound, and from that, we got the news that there were some cysts on his liver (who knew?!), and "a 2x2cm mass...." that needed to be further investigated. The news came via a healthcare app, so it was just written, not delivered with any calming guidance from a doctor. And that little word, "mass," when not described as 'probably benign,' or described at all, but just typed out in your record, will make your mind go in the wrong direction. Especially when you schedule the next required thing, an MRI, and have to wait a full week until the appointment. Just about every possibility crossed our minds; me trying to remain positive until we had reason not to be, him feeling the full scope of What If. Understandably. Long story short, the MRI result was better -- just complex cysts, no treatment necessary. But it was certainly an experience. I guess we're in watch-and-see mode now; trying to improve diet by adding fruits/vegetables and fiber, and decreasing fast food. The good thing is, he already has a gastroenterologist to help monitor the situation.
2. Football: So, Alex's school is playing football, as are all the high schools around here, still surprisingly to me. And the marching band is allowed to play at the home games. They're very socially distanced; they wear masks when not playing (some even while playing, like drums, who don't need their mouths), and they're not wearing their regular uniforms because of handling them and changing in a room together and all that. Of course we want to support the band, so we went to the first game. Masks required. And people were not wearing their masks!! It was just infuriating. The commentator kept saying, in between every quarter, "Fans, please do your part to keep everyone safe: Masks are required at all times. Maintain a safe distance from others. And Go Hoyas!" or something like that.... and still, people sat in the stands and just refused to wear their masks. I can't tell you how annoying it was. We declined to attend the 2nd home game. I'm not sure about the third; it's supposed to be this Friday, but the most recent game was cancelled because of "Covid-19 within the organization." YOU DON'T SAY.
3. Detentions: Ohhhhh, you guys. Kate got 2 detentions for the first time ever. She's not Never been in trouble; in K and 1st, I think, she sometimes got "on yellow" for talking too much, heh. Our little extrovert. But this was 7th-grade trouble. She took her iPod to school (violation #1, devices are not allowed on the premises), and she filmed a TikTok w/her bestie in the girls' restroom, while wearing her uniform with her school's name in huge letters (violation #2). And she posted it. And then, another PARENT reported it. (I'm wrestling with feeling mad about that, and wishing I knew who it was. I have a few suspicions.) She got called in to the principal's office and everything. I'm told she burst into tears. I got to speak with the Assistant Principal for half an hour, and she got her Conduct grade lowered. I feel... bad about it, on the one hand, that we don't have strong enough house-rules that her iPod would have automatically been collected and put away on a school-day morning. But also, she definitely should have known better. The teacher who monitored her detentions was very kind when I picked her up, telling me that it's pretty typical for 7th graders to push limits and try things. We implemented a mini punishment at home, too -- a week without her devices, except for once in the evening to check messages. She wouldn't let me even say the word "detention," she was so uncomfortable with the whole thing. Also part of the punishment, I now check her TikTok every single day. Funny, she hasn't posted a single video since then.
4. Menus for the week: Before I go into that, we went out to eat on Saturday night! The weather here has been amazing, definitely comfortable enough to sit outside (maybe even slightly too cool), so we took Kate (Alex was away for the night) to the local pizza place. It was so great to be at a restaurant! We wore masks until we sat down, the tables were spread out appropriately, and it felt lovely and normal. I'm not saying we'll do that often, especially not if it gets any colder, but it was a nice treat. This week we're eating at home:
S - (last night) Chicken Fried Rice (homemade) and egg rolls (from the frozen section). SO easy and good!
M- Maple Glazed Salmon, roasted potatoes and green beans, and French rolls. Family favorite.
T - Hot dogs w/chili, and fries (Tuesdays are my office days and I'm usually wiped out after that)
W - Salisbury Steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli
Th - Creamy Tomato Pasta (Pioneer Woman), salad
I mean, all of these things are our usual standards, really... I guess because I post so infrequently, it seems like we have the same things all the time. We don't necessarily, but I guess every family has its regular rotation. I should list ours all out, to really see how many different things we typically eat. I sometimes wonder if my family considers me a "good cook," or just an adequate cook.
F - football game? We'll see.
I hope my 4 readers are all healthy and happy today, enjoying the fall, being productive (or enjoying rest), and feeling content. :)
4 comments:
Love this. Love you.
Hi Lee.
How nerve-wracking having to wait to know if Shawn was okay! Glad everything turned out okay, and that you all are healthy.
I would have been very annoyed at the football game too. The people with their noses hanging out when I go shopping is enough to raise my blood pressure.
Sounds like Kate won't try that again any time soon. :) Peter got in major trouble for fighting at the beginning of 7th grade, and I think those may have been his only conduct points last year.
Oh hey, I have a menu plan this week too, so I might as well share:
Monday: Tried a recipe for Quick Meatballs Stroganoff with egg noodles. Used store bought meatballs for Dan, Peter and me and fake beef tips for Sophie. Served with cucumbers and olives as a side salad. Won't throw away the recipe but not likely to use in regular rotation.
Tuesday (Today): Spinach Tortellini Soup. Maybe with Pillsbury biscuits and/ or grapes. Sophie has roller derby practice tonight, so dinner needs to be quick and able to be eaten in 2 shifts.
Wednesday: tacos, Mexican Rice (from a box) and corn.
Thursday: Grilled shrimp (Grilled Steak for Peter), instant mashed potatoes, frozen mixed veggies.
Friday: We almost always get take out on Fridays.
Take Care!
Your menu sounds good! I would LOVE to try a Spinach Tortellini soup, but alas, someone
here doesn't like tortellini.
Does Sophie like roller derby? I'm so impressed with girls who can do that!
I know I am a week late, but your menu from last week sounds awesome!
I am SO GLAD to hear that the cysts are just cysts. What a relief.
And the non-maskers???? WTF PEOPLE JUST WEAR A MASK.
Your girl - awwwww. I mean, it sucks that she broke rules and got into trouble, but as far as "breaking rules" goes I feel like her actions seem VERY benign and understandable. Not to minimize it, obviously - I would have enacted the same kind of at-home punishment, too. But if this is the kind of teenage rebellion some parents can expect, sign me up. :-)
Post a Comment