Friday, August 26

5 on a Friday

1. The back pain hasn't gotten any better. I've spent the last 2 days deep in the internet, looking up more possible causes and potential solutions. There are a lot of YouTube videos, I can tell you that. My low back aches, um, I would say pretty constantly. It's not sharp pain, it's just always there. I'm still determined to figure it out and self-treat it with the right stretches and care, but I'm not ruling out a visit to a chiropractor or physical therapist in the near future. My theory is that I've strained --over-flexed--  the muscles back there. I do stretch my back a LOT with rounded forward bends, child's pose, and cat/cows; maybe too much. Sitting is also considered flexion, and I have a desk job. It doesn't hurt down through my leg or in my hamstring so I don't think there's any nerve or disc involvement (from what I can read). So this week's remedy is that I'm trying to NOT bend forward, definitely not in the first couple of hours after waking up, and to do more -gentle- extension stretches (superman pose, cobra, etc.) I also bought some Aspercreme.

2. Alex is coming home for a quick visit today. We all have mixed feelings about that, including him -- isn't all the advice to "stick it out," even though it's hard at first? It's been 2 weeks. I haven't posted much about his high school girlfriend (perhaps nothing at all?), but this relates to her. She's attending Georgia State University in Atlanta and they're Trying To Make It Work long-distance. I should probably say no more, except that I will be glad to see him and give him a hug. And that plenty of people, Shawn included, went home frequently on weekends during their college years, and they turned out just fine. I wonder if he's bringing his laundry for me to do. ;)

3. Tonight is the high school Homecoming football game, and tomorrow is the dance! Unusually early. Kate is attending both, with her quickly-made group of girlfriends. I couldn't be happier for her to have found new friends so early on! We bought a dress -- two, actually, that were on sale for $39 each at Macy's -- and she is going to someone's house afterwards. Potential for Shawn and me to have TWO date nights in a row! Having teenagers is awesome. 

4. Jeans: What in the heck is the style this season for moms?? I know there are "mom-jeans" for teens, but I am not interested in that particular cut on my particular middle, thank you very much -- and I don't even know if actual moms are "allowed" to wear them? The only other trend I see is jeans that are very much ripped to pieces, and I'm not doing that either. I guess I don't NEED new jeans... I have a couple pairs I bought last year that are slightly boot-cut and fully intact... maybe it doesn't even matter. However I'm dressed, it's going to be "like a mom" and will be embarrassing. 

5. I can't find a bottled cold-brew coffee that's any good. Kate loves her iced coffee, and I think life would be so much simpler if I could just keep a bottle in the fridge for her, rather than making it hot (we use a Keurig) and then having to immediately cool it down, every day. But the bottled ones I've tried so far taste gross. Can anyone recommend one? 

6. Bonus! I've been reading another fun novel by Jojo Moyes: The Last Letter From Your Lover. It's set in London in the 1960s and starts with a car accident wherein a woman is injured and gets amnesia. Sounds hokey, but it's very well done, and then, surprise, Part 3 is set in present-day! I love this author, highly recommend the book and I haven't even finished it yet.

Hope you have a happy weekend! 

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Sorry to hear your back is hurting. Hope you find some relief soon.

You meant to say, you wonder if he will do his laundry while at home, right? :)
I don't think a trip home after 2 weeks is cause for concern. Does he have his car at school? You're right that time spent at college vs at home can look different for everyone and still work out.

We met up with Sophie for dinner the Sunday after she returned from band camp and lunch yesterday. She took the bus and met us at the restaurant. She hung out at the house for about an hour after lunch before Dan drove her back to campus. It was nice.
She had a total meltdown on Thursday night, but did not take me up on my offer to come get her so she could spend the night at home and regroup.
She went to a freshman mixer for the Catholic Newman Club on campus last night and called Dan happy afterward. It will be interesting to see how she chooses to practice her faith now. Our parish didn't have a program for high schoolers and since 2020, she and Dan have been watching mass at home most weeks.

So many ups and downs!

Lee said...

@shannon, haha, in fact he DID do his small load of laundry. Started it, at least. I folded. ;)

The visit was nice for all of us. He mostly spent time with his girlfriend, but we had several good kitchen-table conversations (me quizzing him, mostly, although he was eager to share about band and his classes). The hardest part was saying goodbye a second time!

And YES on the Catholic Ctr stuff! Alex has been to Mass and one Wednesday evening welcome event at school, and enjoyed both. I'm happy they've both checked in -- hopeful it can be a nice "home base" as they figure out their faith lives. I know that's how it was for me when I was in college, sampling a variety of things but always anchored to my own tradition.

suzanne day by day said...

How did the college boy home from college visit go??? Did you do lots of laundry?

The jeans thing is annoying to me too. I HATE the ripped jeans phenom (and look ridiculous in them) and I heard that skinny jeans are back "in" this season?? I like skinny jeans so I'm not mad about it.

My husband really likes the Cold Brew Concentrate from Trader Joe's, if that's an option for you.