Thursday, July 28

AJ is to smart as Jeff is to sensational

My little man is SMART. His teacher SAID SO at daycare this morning, and as many kids as she's seen, she would know. She was showing him "where are your ears?" yesterday, and he remembered! He showed us his ear today! After all that time overnight, he didn't forget.... See? I told you. Valedictorian. :)

**head swelling with Mom-pride**

I can't imagine how much joy a kid can bring a parent through their successes, but I guess this is a little bitty taste of that. I thought about it last night, while watching the Atlanta Braves game. I used to be a huge fan.... fell into complacency as they just kept winning every single year and it got boring.... quit going to games because they are (too expensive and) miserable in the HEAT..... quit watching altogether..... and then, this year, our FRIEND's BROTHER is basically making himself a Rookie of the Year candidate. It has been so fun to watch him -- he's led the team back to its #1 standing in the NLEast, and has rocked the house every game. Yay! I wish I actually knew him, but I don't -- I know his sister. But I do know that he comes from a wonderful family, and they are so proud of him. It's cute because TBS always finds his parents in the stands, and I just love watching his mom be his #1 cheerleader. It must make her crazy with happiness to watch him do so well. I was trying to imagine that level of amazement as I watched her last night -- I think I would wonder, "This kid came from Little Ol' Me, and look what he can do! How did he learn how to do this?" I just love it for them.

Of course, even if your child is NOT a major league sensation at age 21, any teeny success makes a parent proud. I once asked my Mom, when I was about fifteen, "Mom, what if I am not overly successful in my life? What if I wanted to be, say, a fisherman?" (I meant, a fisherman on the pier in Pensacola, not a commercial or competitive one.) "If I was happy, would you still be proud of me?" She looked sideways at me and said, "Well, honey... um, if you wanted to be a happy fisherman, I guess I would be happy for you...." It became quite the family joke, but I bet she meant it, deep down -- if your kids are happy, and doing something that they love, you're happy. You're proud. You've done well. (Of course, my Mom was thrilled that I decided against the fishing career.)

No comments: