Thursday, July 7

Huh, how 'bout that!

(Kinda handy having that little to-do list down there...)

Last night I had dinner with a friend.... An online friend, whom I'd never seen face-to-face before. My first online buddy "hook-up!" How exciting! How 21st century! Since I was already married by the time I discovered message boards and blogs, I never got to do any online dating, so this -- having perfect strangers inside the computer for friends, and wanting to meet them -- still feels a bit brand-new for me. It helped that I've "known" Stacie for more than a couple of years now, but we were both still slightly nervous. I found that funny. Two girls! Both married! What's scary about that? But those little butterflies got antsy down in my tummy all the same. Kind-of a fun feeling, anticipation. When I arrived at her hotel, I couldn't help but hug her. And the whole evening was just like old home week -- we talked about our mutual friends that we hadn't "seen" [on the message board] in a while, and got caught up with each other's lives and families, and shared fitness woes (since that's how we met -- a fitness board).

Another friend and I wondered yesterday if the Internet brings us closer together through interludes like this one, or keeps us apart by gluing us to our keyboards and screens instead of having to walk 30 feet and knock on the neighbor's door. I guess it's a little of both.

But I'm very glad to have a friend now, in Alaska, with whom I can share a pleasant memory, a shared experience. "Hey Stacie, remember that time we hung out in Duluth?""Yeah, when we ate that amazing Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake?" "Yeah, that time." "That was fun." :)

No comments: