So, to explain. Monday, I was told that I would be in North Carolina next week, for work. I was told, not politely asked could I please plan on this trip as part of my schedule. It felt a little like being suddenly handed a heavy, oversized box as the other person bends down to tie his shoe. Kind-of poorly executed, awkward. But the boss gets to do what he wants I suppose. It's happening a lot lately, I'm getting scheduled for conference calls or meetings without warning. I don't appreciate it.
It isn't that this particular one-night trip is a huge deal. But it is a shock to my system when I haven't business-traveled in, ohsay approximately 30 months. Since the day AJ was born, perhaps. Actually the company has very nicely let me skate by without travel, and I'm grateful. Especially to you, sdw. But I suppose it IS part of the job description: "occasional travel," and it's time for me to return fully to that responsibility.
I'm coming to terms with it. Maybe not in the way you think I mean. At any rate, next Tuesday night I will be staying at a Holiday Inn Express and making my very own coffee on the bathroom vanity, and I'm thinking that, plus an expense-account dinner, might help me feel better about it all. Might.
3 comments:
That's what you get for being good-looking, hip, smart, and mature. They just wish you'd decided to go into sales!
I've traveled for work a couple of times since Shmooie was born and nothing has been more relaxing. At first, I was in shock--I can bring a salad on the plane! Because it's too messy to eat when you're wrangling a toddler, but not when you're by yourself! I only have to pack/lug my own stuff, no toys, diapers, etc! I can go work out or sit by the pool!
It would be annoying not to be in full control of your schedule, but I hope it goes well.
Julie, Thank You! Encouraging words. :)
Post a Comment