Wednesday, May 16

The 6-wks-til-beach-week diet

I'm three days in (again) to a serious limitation of calories. That is, calories IN. I am trying extra-hard to increase calories OUT. Hoo boy. I'm hungry all the time. But trying not to give in. Trying to hit the healthy 1400-1500 cals per day intake, and burn about 1800-1900. (I am unable to calculate an exact 500-cal defecit in order to lose 1 pound per week. Absolutely unable. But I'll take any defecit and count that as a good day.)

Here's how I diet, typically:

7:32 am Coffee. A-number-one dietary staple. (very virtuous, with splenda and skim)

9:00 am Still reading blogs and unable to move from chair... no breakfast today. And that's cool, I can handle it.

9:15 am Kinda hungry.

10:59 am Maybe I'll have breakfast. Cottage cheese with peaches. 1 serving. Tastes great, really filling!

11:30 am Ooh, time for lunch. Let's see... leftovers? Salad? Salad. I'm home, I can make a (virtuous) salad.

11:32 am Bagged spinach, my favorite! So full of vitamins. Sign of the cross to ward off E coli. Hmmm. what else have I got?

Tomato. Except... this one's seeds are kind-of dark... Hm. Maybe just a few bite-size chunks. there, that oughtta do it.

aannnd... Protein! Very important for salad. Here's some chicken breast (virtue!).

And some cheese. (Protein! 2-3 servings of dairy! Perfecto.)

And who can enjoy a salad without THESE? Oh boy, do I love these. Protein! Good fat! Wheee!

2 TBPS, no more, balsamic vinagrette. (so tasty. and Vir.tu.ous.)

11:40 am Wow, that was the best salad. Too bad I'm still frickin' hungry.

11:41 am So I had veg, I had protein... carbs! Don't want to NOT eat carbs... Carbs are not the enemy. Scanning pantry... pretzels (snore)... Cheese-Its! Yes, Cheese-Its.

11:42 am
Wait, even better? Cheese-Its AND Pretzels. Just a half serving each. (Counting them out) 1... 2... 3... oh this is a pain. Handful. "Approximate" is okay.

Closing the box now (4 more "for the road"). Mouth full -- Oohmmff, guhd. Partially hydrogenated, and yet, so, so tasty.

12:30 pm
Ahem. Wow, that vinagrette stays with ya. Did you know chocolate, next to mint, is the best breath freshener? I read that somewhere.

.... aaaand so forth.

One of these days here soon, I'm going to have to shop for the year's new bathing suit. Every summer I pack a range of them -- a new one, a "last year's" and at least ONE "2 or 3 years ago" one. Wouldn't it be fun to have ALL NEW? Plus several new flip-flops and beach bags AND a cover-up? Utter Extravagance.

Anyway. Got any gum? I need about 14 pieces to tide me over 'til dinner.

5 comments:

Mrs. Flinger said...

HAHA! I'll be right there with ya in about.. um.. a few weeks. Right after child is taken out of uterus and I can't justify nightly cookies.

Oh, the cookies. *sigh*

Swistle said...

This was so funny. I'm always WAY less hungry when I'm PLANNING a diet than when it's actually 7:30 a.m. on the morning OF the diet.

MaryB said...

Amen!

Right there with ya!

Too terified to try on the "suits" to see if I can still wear them.

Anonymous said...

Love your post. Funny.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

nicole said...

Good luck! I want to go to the beach too. Unfortunately, my only motivation is the kiddie pool in the backyard and the community pool in the neighborhood. Eating well is hard.