Thursday, May 31

Just what I needed

Late last Wednesday, I got the dreaded phone call:

"Hi, el-e-e...? It's Darby at (AJ's school)." Darby's the front desk woman. I like her. But, "Damn," is always the first thing I think. The plan -- the working/office/daycare thing -- has failed me today. I cannot perform both as employee and as Mom. But then, "Ooh, I get to leave RIGHT NOW" takes over, and I usually find myself smiling just a little bit.

AJ had a reddened, irritated eye that day, and the daycare does not mess around when it comes to possible pinkeye. They wanted him out of there. I was not convinced it was something contagious, but the next morning he woke up pretty puffy, so I went ahead and called the doc.

To make a long story short, it was NOT pinkeye, and AJ felt perfectly fine all day... but I chose to keep him home. Meaning, we had a day off! An absolutely fine-as-a-fiddle "Sick Day." Those are the best kind, after all -- ask Ferris Bueller. I had been thinking, just the week before, that I needed to take a personal day already and just SPEND SOME TIME with the kid. For both of our sakes. It was nice that the opportunity presented itself, since I am so bound by guilt and loyalty and probably WOULDN'T take a free-day of my own volition. I told my office he was sick and they were none the wiser. AJ and I went to lunch at McDonald's (he DID have to endure a doctor visit, after all, and what better 'treat' than chicken nuggets and a stint at the PlayPlace?), had a "book picnic" in the front yard in the afternoon, complete with watermelon snacks, and played one heck of a lot of Hide-n-Seek.

Remind me to do this again in 6 months or so.

1 comment:

ThatGreenyFlower said...

I think that Fate might have been trying to tell you that you and AJ needed a day together. Sometimes circumstances have to force us into spending time with the people we love the most. Isn't that funny?