Wednesday, June 13

And so goes my fretful mind

What makes me wince (and sometimes cry) when I allow myself to think about it, is being a working mom during the summers when AJ reaches school age. Right now it's fine I guess; he's in daycare every day of his life and he doesn't know, yet, that summers are Free Time. But once he gets into school, where will we be then? When the kids countdown that last week of class 'til the final bell rings, and they all run out the door flinging papers and books and singing, "No More Teachers...?" The next Monday, AJ will be headed to the daycare for what they so craftily call "camp." With Teachers. And probably books.

And no matter how hard I try to salve it in my heart, I just don't want that for him.

I want him to have lazy days without so many rules and schedules. Time to just wander the backyard. TO GET BORED. Days-in-succession at the pool. Books galore. Corn dogs and popsicles.

I suppose he CAN have all that for a time... I can send him to Florida to my parents' for a week or three, then we'll have our usual end-of-June vacation week, then he can go to Savannah to his other grandparents' for a while... maybe a week of Vacation Bible School because that never felt like "real" school to me...? And to round out the 3 months, the "camp" program at our daycare actually IS field-trip filled; I mean, I know they do fun things like go to the water park and the pool. But it's just not the same in my mind.

3 comments:

ThatGreenyFlower said...

I feel your pain. Options: be a school teacher, be a school teacher, or quit working. Or you could always be a school teacher.

If you see any other options, I'm on a need-to-know basis.

el-e-e said...

Well, there's always that freelance-writer thing that pokes at me constantly. But that requires, like, initiative and self-promotion and stuff. And probably late nights. I can't seem to convince myself to jump off that high dive, even though part of me really wants to.

ThatGreenyFlower said...

I think the problem with "freelance" is that if you're good at what you do, you end up working just as much...only at home, where it's even harder to ignore your family. Or that's how I imagine it, anyway.

If you get bold and sassy and try it out, or even if you just get bold and sassy and think about trying it out, I sure would like to hear how you think through the decision. I'm interested in being my own boss sometimes, too.