I made the CUTEST cupcakes for AJ's birthday party at daycare today. They're white cake, with white frosting and red sprinkles, and they're delish (every good chef tries the dish, don'tcha know). The teacher said to me on Wednesday, "Sure, bring 'em in. I'd do something if the parents don’t, but it's HIS day on Friday." (His birthday is Sunday.) It, of course, made me a little sad to think that some parents WOULDN'T do something for their kid's birthday… but to say so would be judgmental, since I don't know what circumstances other people are dealing with. I’m just glad that the daycare employs sweet, loving people like Miss Ashley who love the kids when they need loving, and celebrate each one on his or her special day.
So, for the birthday I think we have an official extravaganza locked and loaded, even as I tried not to. (At least there will only be ONE screaming kid running around, and he's mine.) The grandparents on both sides are headed this way as I type, as well as AJ's uncle, who's intending to propose to his girlfriend TONIGHT! We have to recommend a restaurant for the actual scene of the romance! And afterwards, they'll come back home to MY house! So exciting! I have the champagne chilling in the fridge right now. Ooh, maybe I should go out at lunch to get a bottle of sparkling juice for me and little fetus (now the size of half a pea!) to enjoy.
Although AJ's birthday is on Sunday, we'll likely celebrate Saturday with a lunch trip to the brand-new pizza buffet place, a Dora cake, and some presents:
- Spiderman sleeping bag
- "I Spy" card game
- "Cadoo" board game, which I hope is somehow "Memory" related
- possibly a plastic slide for the backyard
- a new Mr. Potato Head "outfit"
- a big plastic dinosaur playset, and
- 2 new battery-operated Thomas trains for our train set.
What are good gifts for a 3-year-old boy?
My mom and I have been trying to keep a running list as AJ grows, so we'll know, next time we have a birthday party to attend (or next baby, perhaps!), which things get good reactions at which ages. Please share your favorites!
3 comments:
Cranium Cadoo? If it si the original, not memory related. Might save that for his 5th, 6th , or 7th b-day. Sorry, don't want to rain on the parade...but if I remember correctly that one is pricey for a board game and didnt want to be a wash for you.
Email me if you need more info. Am I being over-bearing?
Grant loves his Elefun! Got a great reaction on his 3rd b-day, but would be equally fun a little younger also. And, believe it or not, flashlights are a VERY popular item around here. hmmm, little AJ might need someone to send him a Spiderman flashlight!
My Buddy loves his Curious George doll that laughs when you push his "buttons" in his tummy and hands and feet. He got it for his 3rd birthday. I don't remember what else he got. Kind of sad.
Ah, MB, I was wrong: it wasn't Cadoo, it was "Cariboo," and he LOVES it. Luh-huh-huhvvvvs. :) Whew! I was nervous after your note because it was Grandmommy's gift -- eveidently she knew what she was talking about!
Post a Comment