Wednesday, July 11

Toys for 3 year old boys

(I say boys, but our neighbor came over, a girl, and she was every bit as interested in AJ's new toys as he was.) Rounding up birthday things that were most successful:

  • One of those books with the buttons down the side, that play music for every character. Ours is a Shrek variety book, which may have more to do with it than the buttons, but for the first 2 days, AJ didn't even want me to take the plastic wrap off. He was perfectly happy to push the buttons through the plastic: "Story? Pages? Who cares. It beeps!"
  • Cariboo, by the makers of Cranium. Now when I was just out of college, my roommate planned Game Nights every few weeks, to where I got pretty sick of games. But this one is really very cool for a 3-year-old. I don't get bored until at least 2 rounds in. ;) It's a treasure hunt. There's a magic key for unlocking the treasure, there's educational letter- and number-matching.... it's just great. A total success -- we've played it nine-leventy million times since Sunday.
  • Chutes & Ladders, the classic I never played until this week. I personally think the update of the board's design went a little too far -- I find it hard to tell where the ladders and slides begin, and the squares on the path are difficult to distinguish under all the other fat graphics -- but AJ lurvhs this game, too. He likes to spin the spinner, and he likes to BANG his piece as he moves it around the board randomly. (We really have to help him follow the correct path, number by number, but that's understandable since he only counts to 14 and the numbers go to 100!) When he hits a ladder, it's WHEEEEEEEEE! and ALL RIIIIGHTTTT! and loads of fun for everyone. Or at least for him, heh.
  • No surprise, a Thomas wooden Gold Mine Mountain track and train set. Do I even need to explain this? He loves it from tunnel to bridge and around the bend. He loves to make the trains go, and make them crash. It is a masterpiece of boyhood happiness. :)
  • You know, Mr. Potato Head and all the "costumes" are entertaining him, too. He's at a stage where he'll "talk" for his toys, which makes me hide around corners so I can listen without making him self-conscious. The big, deep voices and the teensy, high-pitched voices are so funny! I love it.

Write these gift ideas down, people. My advice to you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

does he really say WHEEEEE!!! when playing chutes and ladders? That's got to be FUN. Reminds me of Granny!
love the list. you must make one every year!

nicole said...

Chutes and Ladders and CandyLand are exercises in patience for me. I am a rule follower, but the kids, not so much. My girls play better now, but still need reminders about the path and what not. Still, if they have fun that is all that matters. We have Cariboo too and they all play that one fairly well.
I should have mentioned this on the last post regarding gifts, but I forgot. Hullabaloo by Cranium is a GREAT game for kids. As long as a child knows at least shapes and colors he/she can play. The game involves listening to the MC tell you what shape/color/picture to find and move to it. No adult required, and it can be played alone, although it would be more fun with friends. Anyway, consider it for Christmas. My kids love it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I’m working on a marketing project with Scholastic to connect with parents like you who are publishing great content. Our goal is to raise awareness about Maya & Miguel http://pbskidsgo.org/mayaandmiguel a program for kids on PBS that promotes cultural diversity and language learning.

We’d love to get your feedback on the show and the interactive content on the Maya & Miguel site.

I found your post and thought I’d reach out to say hello and ask if you’d like to receive a free Maya & Miguel DVD. If you’d like to receive the DVD just email me at mark@boldmouth.com with your address and I’ll have it shipped it out to you.

If you do choose to blog about Maya & Miguel show or episodes on the DVD, please make it clear how you received the information. Our goal is to be open and honest with everyone we reach.

-Mark Steidler, BoldMouth

Anonymous said...

You know, I was just wondering about buying toys for my daughter. I referenced your post on my blog, if that is ok with you.

el-e-e said...

perfectly fine, sophie! :)