So now I've done the reveal, the symptoms-log, the naming post, the birth story... oh, wait, I didn't do the birth story? Here it is: my water broke all over the WORLD (at home actually, at 10:30pm), we went to the hospital, where my water continued to break all down the halls, I got hooked up to an IV with saline, antibiotics (StrepB positive), then later my glorious epidural and pitocin. I was itchy and they gave me Benadryl or something, I was sniffly and they gave me Claritin, I labored comfortably for 8 hours or so, pushed 3 times during one contraction and poof: Baby!... I am PRETTY GOOD at birthing babies, aren't I? AJ's delivery was equally easy.... anyway, the next thing I'm supposed to post as a bona-fide Mommy Blogger is
The Auspicious Beginning of My Diet and Exercise Regime.
Yeah.
Last weekend I went to Publix with a specific list in my hand, the list that included V8 juice, hummus, smoked almonds for gosh sakes, and celery. Who even puts CELERY on a LIST? Someone on a diet, that's who. Except I'm not quite ready to be on a Diet, and I'm not quite sure how it works when you're breastfeeding a little bit.
I'm trying to not to hurry things too much as I know you have to allow plenty of time to lose the baby fat that took 9 months to put on. Everyone says that. But not everyone has a beach vacation planned in June, harumph. I have a feeling I will want some faster results than "9 months off."
I believe in the "Change One" method, where you don't begin a diet full-on, but little by little. I had already been eating fairly good breakfasts and lunches -- balanced with fruits and veggies, and reasonable portions -- but dinner and snacks are where I need to make changes. I need to kiss regular Coca-Cola goodbye (sob!), and donate the 2nd bag of Oreos to AJ's daycare for THEIR snacktime.
I also like the idea of the "Just One More" healthy living promise. Hence, the V8. I love salad, so it really shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully those dietary changes will move the scale a bit to get me motivated. And then I've GOT to figure out a way to get more exercise in. My cable package includes some ExerciseTV On Demand, and it's cool because there are lots of workouts in 10, 16, and 22-minute increments. I bet I can do those for starters.
I just made Weight Watchers' Pumpkin Muffins, the recipe for which I found at SundryBuzz, in the comments section of this handy post. I thought you all should see it live and up close since I know some of you are on health-kicks, too, so I'm posting it here. It is a WEIRD recipe. Who in the world thought of this combination of ingredients? But put 'em together and they're pretty damn tasty with a virtuous spread of non-butter butter, like Smart Balance.
WW Yummy Pumpkin Bran Muffins
3 cups all-bran cereal
2 cups warm water
MIX together… let sit for five minutes
[seriously.... weird. I even felt weird buying All-Bran.]
1 box dry cake mix (SPICE flavor)
1 can pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
MIX well.
ADD cereal mix.
1 TBSP vinegar
[even weirder!]
Hand mix this into batter.
Spoon into muffin cups sprayed with PAM.
BAKE 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Makes 24 muffins.
9 comments:
Id love to have another health kick buddy! BUT, youd better take it easy there, girlfriend...you just had a baby and you are breastfeeding! How about a nice daily after-lunch stroll with Miss KT in her stroller?
V8 - Ive always beenjealous of people who could drink it, and some who really liked it. I guess it would help if I didn't HATE tomatoes.
I think we should all just make a pack to wear mumus (how do you spell that?) at the beach.
oops - pact NOT pack!
I've got to start proofreading!
Hey. I'm thinking about you because you're probably on the phone with T. My weight is inching up these days. It definitely has to do with the enormous amounts of chocolate I've been eating. I lost a ton of weight really quickly right after having M. I weighed 10 pounds less six months ago than I do now. Weird, right? But I'm sure that's part of the reason I started having trouble bfing.
I love your cool birthing story with the water breaking. I can't help it -- that just seems so exciting!
Love the birth story .. you got to the point and moved on!!!
I NEED your motivation in the nutrional area of my life... keep those recipes coming!!!
OH and b/c you live in Atlanta its a requirement that you consume regular Coke.. it MUST be done, like breathing air .... plus that diet crap is just as bad with the fake sweeteners!!
this recipe looks delicious! As soon as my kitchen is back in order, I'm trying it.
I think Mandy's right about Coke. It's Atlanta, it's a requirement.
Yay health kicks! KEEP ME UPDATED! Heh.
I sort of love V8. I try to pretend it's a bloody mary.
tessie, me too! I even go so far as to put it over ice, with lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. YUM.
I have totally bombed on the "bounce back from birth" part of mommyhood. I really think Big Birthing Hospital on the North Side of Town switched out my body with someone else's -- they didn't want it either. I'm sure my lack of fitness has nothing to do with all those sweets I eat... no, not at all.
Good luck! I'm rootin' for ya!
I'm trying to change things too. I'm joining a gym when I get the all clear to exercise (next week!). I'm trying to not drink soda anymore (not good for Baby anyway) and reduce the sweets. The sweets are the hardest. I have an enormous sweet tooth. Like you, I'm trying to make one or two small changes at a time. Good luck with your goals!
Post a Comment