Wednesday, March 12

Tasks and Outings

This is my game plan these days: Tasks and Outings.

Tasks include things like emptying the dishwasher. Doing a load of laundry. Addressing birth announcements. Cleaning toilets. I try to do one per day. If more are accomplished, good for me, but there's only a self-imposed requirement of One.

Outings are self-explanatory. I can mange about one outing per day, either in the 10 o'clock hour or the 1 o'clock hour (but usually, we are nursing at 1 o'clock, and watching Anthony Bourdain on the Travel channel). I don't always have an outing, taking the opportunity to nap if needed instead. We go to the grocery store one day, the toy store another (for Easter basket stuff), Target or Staples or wherever is mission-critical at the moment. On my list for the future: A trip to Old Navy for summer clothes for AJ, Wal-Mart because I have a gift card and we need Easter candy (NEED!), Babies R Us to return a few gifts (why didn't more people include gift receipts?), and a lunch outing or two in the works.

I'm enjoying this part of maternity leave. Going back to work is on my mind all the time, not only because the HR people KEEP calling me to confirm all my dates and such nonsense, but also because I'm considering how exactly I'm going to approach it. I'm almost wishing I had only taken 6 weeks off, and could plan to use the other 6 weeks for every Friday off. That would have been smart. I suppose it's not too late to change to that plan, but it would mean more dealings with HR and NO THANK YOU.

I ended up leaving KT baby at home when I went to the shower on Sunday. It was not about MY baby, it was about my friend, plus the drive was really long. Based on her schedule from that morning, I'd have had to either nurse KT on the side of Georgia Rt. 400 or arrive at the party with a screaming infant, and neither option seemed good. ("Hi, I'm so happy you're having a BABY!! They scream, isn't it cute??") So I left them with the Fabulous DH. When I called to say I was on the way home, and asked how things were going, he whispered, "Everybody is asleep." He rocks my world, to say the least.

She's crying, so I've got to go for now. I really miss reading all of y'all every day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've got to say that you could just do it -- shorten your maternity leave and take the Fridays off. Don't tell HR. Just tell T that's what you're going to do. He'd be THRILLED!!! I know that it would feel very weird to work for six weeks with no pay, but if you kept those future Fridays in mind ... ??? (I'm sure there's some detail I'm not thinking of.)

Swistle said...

Or even 3/5ths weeks, like working Monday-Tuesday-Thursday.

I do that "one task per day" thing, too. I think it's one of the keys to surviving the postpartum time (and after, too!).

Tess said...

I like this Every Friday Off idea. I hadn't thought of that.

You are doing great!

Mandy said...

I love your intro to the baby shower had you taken KT with you .. too funny:)

Did you hear there is a new cousin to be born in September .. my cousin Amy in Dallas is pregnant again... more 2nd cousins for Collin and 3rd cousins for AJ and KT!!

PS I know I am one that has been bad about gift receipts lately b/c I buy stuff at so many different stores .. maybe I should get over myself and buy guft cards that way everyone is happy and they are easier to mail!!!!!