Wednesday, April 9

Indulgence

Okay, have any of you been watching The Real Housewives of NYC on Bravo? It is the one non-news TV show I have allowed myself -- well, the second... I also watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on the Travel Channel at 1:00 pm most days if I'm home -- during my maternity leave. Not even Oprah!

Well, I just watched my DVR'd episode from last night and O.M.G! What is with Ramona?? I could not bee-lieve the drama! For those of you who don't indulge in this severely guilty pleasure like I do, pleeeease let me elaborate. You don't want to miss it.

One of the five women that the show profiles decided to host a dinner party for... the 4 other women. It was to be a Girls' Night, with a special dinner and super fancy million-dollar plates and table settings because they're all richer than God, of course, in the tradition of "Real Housewives" profile-ees.

Well. Alex, who fancies herself much more high society than she actually IS, asked if she could bring Simon, her husband, to the dinner... The Girls' Night dinner. The hostess was perplexed and thought, "Man, that Alex is kinda bizarre," but if you've been following the show you'd know that Alex and Simon are sickeningly, cheesily attached at the eyeballs. They shop together, they get dressed together, they parlez le francais badly together (and teach their toddlers badly, too, so they'll be "educated," natch, when they enroll in a Swiss boarding school or some such) and they are disturbingly In Love. Gah. Anyway, yes, it was weird, but the hostess said if you must, you must.

Well, Simon shows up with Alex. Then Ramona, who plays the rather trampy-but-has-a-boatload-of-money housewife (and again, NOT A HOUSEWIFE -- she has a job)... Ramona FREAKS OUT. She goes into hysterics, basically, saying, "I had a really tough day and was really looking forward to Girls' Night, and then YOU come here and ruin it!" She really laid into him. He was speechless, as well he should have been (although a self-deprecating retort wouldn't have hurt), and the rest of the guests had no idea what was happening. One woman kept saying, "But he's here now, and we're going to make him feel WELCOME, aren't we, Ramona?" as if Ramona was a 2-year-old! Hahahahaha! It was high comedy at her expense.

Later at dinner, they start this conversation about Class versus Etiquette, and Ramona gave further evidence that money equals neither one. In fact, after the soup course she inexplicably gets up and leaves, saying, "Oh, I forgot to tell you I have other plans at 9:30." WT? Such a faker! The next day she dug her hole EVEN further by trying to apologize and reiterate that she JUST FORGOT about those other plans and .... well, it just devolved into her being a spaz. Generally, I think that's her major malfunction, that she's just ditzy. And oh, is it fun to watch.

I basically love everything about this show -- from the New York accents (LOVE!) to the townhouses (gorge!), to the Countess, to the way they edited it so that each woman gets made fun of in some way, to the one single girl (with R.H. money) who actually has a brain and calls out all the other women for their high-class nonsense.

Season finale next Tuesday! Conveniently lined up with my last day of leave, which is AWESOME.

3 comments:

Swistle said...

I think this show might make me Too Worked Up.

Plus, the hostess should totally have said "Sorry, not this time: it's a Girls' Night." And if she DID allow it, she should have told the other guests that it was no longer a Girls' Night. Ramona was rude, OBVIOUSLY, but the hostess was awful: you don't invite people to one kind of party and then serve them with another kind.

See? Too worked up.

Anonymous said...

Me too, Swistle! Too Worked Up! I liked Orange County better. Seemed like the women were less high-strung, less prone to yell and scream. And that Alex...ugh! Ah, entertainment!

nicole said...

I watched the preview of the show when I was in the hospital. I could tell it would be fun to watch and make fun of, but we don't have Bravo at home. The idea that those are the "real" housewives of anywhere is ridiculous.