Once upon a time, there was an itsy-bitsy, roly-poly, fatty-watty, pudgie-wudgie, piggledy-widdledy pink pig named Porkus M. Piggus. But his Mommy called him "Porky," for short.
...thus began the bedtime stories of my childhood. My Granny told Porky Stories when we spent the afternoon or evening with her, at naptime or at night. Porky had soft pink ears, a big pink belly, and "a little pink corkscrew tail." I distinctly remember one afternoon in her large "kids' bedroom," my sister and I each occupying one twin bed, heads cool on her down pillows. The light was just so, and she sat in the rocker in the corner of the room. The first words were always the same. Comforting, that. Now that I think about it with an adult's perspective.
I don't know where she got the idea of Porky Pig for her main character, but these were the only kind of stories she knew, apparently. :) I also don't remember what activities Porky participated in, but I wish I did, because I have introduced Porky into my son's future memories of storytime... and I am running out of ideas!
I mean, Granny had 4 boys of her own, so I'm sure many of her tales were from their real-life antics on the farm. Me, I've only come up with a few Porky Stories that are worth telling more than once:
- Porky and Stinky (his best friend) walk to the swimming pool, but on the way, they get distracted in a field. They climb a tree, play baseball with sticks and rocks, and share a piece of gum with Old Mister ...Wilson (was all I could come up with -- ya have an older neighbor, it has to be "Mr. Wilson," right?)... and then they hardly have any time to swim... but realize they had a super-fun day, anyway.
- Porky's birthday party, where he gives party hats to all his friends (Stinky, Hortense, and various other piglets named with the names of AJ's school buddies, coincidentally) and then opens presents (this is an especially good way to find out what AJ's hoping for around Christmas or birthday-time). I also let him decide who gets which color balloon. And all this participation by the listener DOES sorta defeat the purpose of Putting Him To Sleep, but I digress.
- Porky Eats Too Many Pickles and Gets a Tummyache. ...I know, right? But, um, the moral of the story is... don't eat too many pickles. AJ loves this one for some reason.
So, help. Maybe I'll even type some up here after the fact and let you know how they were received. And Jilly, feel free to chime in with original editions if you remember any! Oh, and P.S., Historically, these stories are reeeallly long, like a winding path over hills and through deep valleys. If the storyteller falls asleep (and maybe snores) before the end, for instance... it's extremely genuine, is what I'm saying. ;)
6 comments:
Porky stories are well loved memories around here. I might be able to snoop you out a few originals. I'll get back to ya on that!
yay! I was hoping for that, MB.
Wonderful post!!! I can smell Granny's house right now, and feel the cool, clean pillows. Your descriptions put me right back there.
Here are a few things I remember about porky stories:
Porky's Poopy-Dommy Mommy baked pies. Mmmmmmmm, and they always smelled sooooooo delicious.
Porky liked to wriggle his toes in the mud, on his way to wherever he was going.
Porky once ran into a skunk and got squirted/stung/skunked or whatever you call it. And the end of the story, Porky still smelled and he had to take a tomato bath.
I think there was at least one back to school episode. Porkey did go to school, didn't he?
I'll keep thinking...
wow -- you girls are lucky having such great memories of your grandparents AND having stuff from them to pass down to the newest generation .. you should totally write all of those stories down (although I wonder if your mom already has done or suggested that????)
also, I wish I was that creative!!!!!
Hee hee, Mandy, we have talked many times about writing it all down for posterity. :) Haven't done it yet, except for this post! JILLY, GREAT STUFF, thank you!!
I haven't written down any of the Porky stories, mostly because Granny told them to the kids when the other adults weren't around, so I don't really know the stories, just snippets from them. However, el-e-e and jilly beans's dad, and maryb's FIL heard the stories when they were kids, too; I bet they could be persuaded to share what they remember. Mandy, you and el-e-e are exactly right: someone should write them down! So, Girlies, please do it!
Post a Comment