Monday, April 28

Useless information

Once again, I dreamed that I was friends with Amy. That just by virtue of my reading her, she knew me and we were friends. In this dream (as opposed to another one I had -- multiple dreams, is what I'm saying!), some gamer-boy had referred to her on his blog or a message board, with a negative comment about "mommy bloggers." He'd even spelled her name wrong (Am-lah). I laughed knowingly with her as if to say, "Silly gamr dude, with his misspelling! But any PR is good PR in this crazy blogging business, right? Wink, wink, AmyMYBESTFRIEND." As if *I* am in the blogging business. And as if she needs more PR. HAaaaaa. Love Amy. Anyone else dream about your fellow bloggers?

* * * * * * * * *

Something I think about alot of the time is my German heritage. Although we do more cultural celebration of my Mom's side of the family (Cajun), my maiden name (one of those below) and my Dad's heritage is decidedly German. In fact, the little town I grew up in, in Texas, had a large collection of German-descended folks. I realized last night that it was concentrated mostly within our Catholic church, and that having the perspective of a child when I lived there is why it has seemed to me for years that "everyone" was German -- really it was just our general circle. The town had plenty of Scottish, English, Hispanic of course, and even French-sounding names. Anyway, the German thing is endlessly fascinating to me and I often find myself listing out all the names I can remember from from my elementary (parish) school or our family's acquaintances:

Albrecht
Berend
Geiger
Gerber
Herr
Kriegshauser
Lindeman
Lueb
Lowerwald
Reinart
Reinauer
Schilling
Schrandt
Schroeder
Schumacher
Wagner
Walterscheid
Wilhelm
Zinzer

I don't know why this interests me, but it does. My school served sausage and sauerkraut at its spring carnival, by the way.

* * * * * * * * *

Did I take a leave of absence from work because I had a baby or something? It is strange to me that, coming back, it really feels like I didn't much leave. Now, I advised this and I generally think it's a good thing, but lately it has seemed like I never was pregnant and that hospital thing was just a blip on the screen. I turn around and check behind me like, "Did that really happen?" I don't know -- the last time I returned from maternity leave it just felt a whole lot more monumental. This time it's just life, continued. Strange. Maybe KT is getting short shrift. Maybe TIME FLIES.

11 comments:

Tess said...

In college I spent a few weeks working in New Braunfels and we stayed at the "Edelweiss Inn". So funny.

MaryB said...

Have I mentioned that I LOVE useless information?

Also, I LOVE schnitzel and spaetzle, and strudel!!!!!!!

Lastly, Walterscheid(sp) can't be a very common name - any chance you remember a Kyle?? He is a priest here...small world, eh?

Swistle said...

I totally dream about fellow bloggers! Also about vampires with souls!

Anonymous said...

I have the same feelings...I don't feel like I actually went on leave from work, or that I was even pregnant not that long ago! It is a strange phenomenon.

Anonymous said...

Well, I dreamed about someone from the blog universe for the first time last night -- Moxie. Weird. And I have to say that I agree that it seems like you've hardly been gone from work. That's good and bad for you, I'm sure!

nicole said...

Okay, so I have to know what town you grew up in. Like Maryb, I am familiar with some people with those names (my husband knows fr. Kyle but I don't). So spill the beans.

el-e-e said...

Nicole! that is funny. I do not know Fr. Kyle Walterscheid (but I WAS quite young when we lived there)... it was Hereford, Tx. :) Tiny cow-town up in the panhandle.

el-e-e said...

But you and Maryb should get together! :) She is awesome IRL!

nicole said...

Oh, I was thinking maybe Meunster in North TX. Thanks for answering my question though. And I wonder if Mary's husband knows mine (Husband knows most of the men in that area).

Skiplovey said...

That's funny about your dream. I have yet to dream about bloggers. Celebrities yes, bloggers no.
Too funny!

Mandy said...

I totally want German food now.

I have dreamed about stuff I read in blogs but not necessarily about the bloggers themselves.

Oh and those names look just as hard to pronounce as the Cajun ones:)
...and now I want a po-boy ---

I wonder what a good bratwurst would taste like on some good po-boy bread??? The question would then remain: What kind of beer would you drink with it??