Tuesday, May 20

Health kick post

I'm trying, I really am. I mean, insofar as that includes eating a good bit of chocolate every day (HELLO STARBUCKS CHOCOLATE, NICETOMEETYOUmmMMRMFFF!), and not really counting calories or points or what-have-you. I AM trying to make better decisions -- like having a salad instead of 10 wings -- and having vinagrette with that salad instead of RANCH, duh. Those were the bad habits that I reintroduced during my pregnancy just because I could. But my overall energy level about this whole health-kick, lose-weight thing (...and can I just say: it's LOSE weight (v.), not "LOOSE" weight! ...People! Grammar! Sorry...) my energy level is just not quite there. I want to lose weight and get fit but I don't have the desire to log in to Fitday all the damn time.

Today I knew I would arrive to my Tuesday meeting site at least 15 minutes early, so I tossed my shoes and socks in the car. I HATE all the "Sneak Exercise In Wherever You Can" tips. Walk up the Stairs! Park far Away! Do butt-crunches while you shower! And yet... that seems to be the only way I'm going to get any exercise in, ever, until my kids are grown up and moved away. Time is just not on my side about this. And yes, I suppose I could wake up an hour earlier. I've considered torturing myself that way ONE day a week -- I don't think that would officially kill me, although trying to do that EVERY day most definitely would.

So. Yesterday I did one 10-minute all-over-body-sculpt via the ON DEMAND menu from Comcast during KT's first nap of the day, and then a 12-minute one later in the day. Last Friday I did step aerobics (10 minutes) on my living room staircase while trying to "rock" KT to sleep. Then the two kids and I took a 20 minute walk later. And today, I took my little morning walk (20 minutes) around the midtown Target where we meet. I was wearing my khakis, my pearls, and my running shoes. GAH!! Hate! I am that girl! Work clothes with athletic shoes! (At least I wasn't wearing a skirt and hose, but oh man, was I ugly in that outfit.)

I'm trying to go at this EASY, because I know, I know, I just had a baby 3 short months ago and I should cut myself some slack about losing weight. I have lost only 1 pound since starting to consider weight-loss about 3 weeks ago. Mostly I just want to claim to be a smart person. And smart people know that you HAVE to exercise. Period. And you can't eat potato chips and brownies all the livelong day.

I wonder if I do this kind of slackery health kick for a while and really try to DO some exercise regularly, will I ACTUALLY WANT to start counting cals again? Sigh. I probably will. Let's hope.

Sigh, again.

7 comments:

Tess said...

A lot of times when I get in a health kick slump, if I can just hang on to ONE or TWO good habits, the rest come back when I'm in a better place.

Still it HAS only been three months!

Those tips make me scowl and roll my eyes too. And yet. Some days that's the best you can do.

LL said...

I agree with you and tessie completely. Picking a few and following through every day, no exceptions can make a huge difference. I used to roll my eyes at the "park far away" or "get of the bus one stop early" but given that I haven't been in a gym in 18 months, that's all I have right now, and I almost hate to admit it, but they're working. I do not take the elevator if it's a difference of less than 3 floors. Ever. Heavy books, heavy child, whatever. That little effort, every day, has made an impact, I think.

Good luck to you- and yeah, it has only been three months... start small!

MaryB said...

"And you can't eat potato chips and brownies all the livelong day."

But wouldn't it be wonderful???? Especially the potoato chips?

Seriously, I think we re all sighing along with you. I know I am.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lee -
I am in the same place (minus the 3 month after child bearing part) :) but I am having a hard time dropping those lbs as well. I think my thing is the "little things" I do isn't moving the scale. You are doing good for 3 months after child - so give yourself a break and keep up the "little things". :)

Stacie

Swistle said...

Oh, it's so hard, isn't it? It seems like if we as a species were meant to be thin and toned, we'd be inclined toward it naturally!

Anonymous said...

You should never, ever, ever, ever want to count calories. It just ain't livin. It's not like you're obese or something. And that's my two cents. :)

nicole said...

I can relate. I am managing to go to the gym when not ill, but I'm not counting calories. Are you still nursing? If so, that is definitely a reason to not count calories. I'm just trying to consume better calories. And in these sometimes hard post-baby days, little treats like chocolate are hard-earned and not easily given up.