I did get a really cool present from my husband-o: A digital piano!
What came with it? A STARTLING revelation that I am NO GOOD at piano any more! I have concentrated on singing much too long -- and only one note at a time. All this "two hands, ten fingers together" nonsense is far, far too much to keep up with. I have just realized this is why I seem GOOD at singing, sight-reading, and rhythm when I'm in a chorus. IT'S EASIER, EINSTEIN!!Rather than clunk around every time I sit down at my new favorite gadget, I have chosen three songs to begin practicing on the piano, until I get them down. I took piano lessons for 10 years, for crying out loud -- it is so embarrassing to only have the capacity to perform "Big Chief Indian" and "Spinning Song." The songs are "Fur Elise," because, as I told DH, every twelve-year-old in town can already play it; and two nice Wesleyan hymns, because hymns are relatively easy -- just your basic 4-part chords and a few progressive notes in-between. (Right? Don't we call those "progressive notes?" Oh, gees, I can't remember ANYTHING.)
The idea, of course, is for AJ and KT to have a piano around to get interested in, so that I can thereby introduce the concept of Piano Lessons without any fuss. Brilliant, no? At first I was thinking, "I can even teach AJ a kind-of 'pre-lessons' before he starts with a real teacher." But... perhaps not. Even if he WERE to listen to me, which he won't, since I'm his PARENT and that automatically knocks down his level of respect for me versus a stranger, I probably shouldn't teach him much more than Middle C. I can't even do scales properly, people. Whew. It's been a tough birthday for more reasons than getting OLD.
Speaking of respecting his parents... Sigh. We're having Dinner Table Issues, again. It seems we just get this situation licked, then whammo, he comes up with something new. I won't go into the gory details, but if you're interested in sharing your Dinnertime Rules for Happiness, Toddler/Preschooler Edition, go ahead. Last night Husband and I had to DISCUSS what our new plan of attack is going to be, because what we've been doing is simply not working. That new plan is detailed below:
1. No more snack after school. (We get home around 5:15; dinner's no later than 6:30.) He can have a yummy drink, but no food. My giving him snacks is totally sabotaging dinner. I admit: I've been a dumbass about this repeatedly.
2. He'll get Three Chances to behave at the table. After that, dinner will be over. He may go play (but not watch TV).
3. A small dessert will be placed on the table at the beginning of the meal and he can eat it at the end of his meal. He should eat as much dinner as he wants but we will not specify how much. If he thinks he's eaten enough, he may eat dessert and then get down. (We will not say, "You can't have dessert if you don't eat your dinner." We will not say, "Eat three more bites and then you may get down.")
THE END.
I think those are simple enough rules for a nearly 4-year-old, do you?
12 comments:
a piano from DH!!! how awesome!! It'll all come back quickly, I'm sure.
Happy Birthday!!!
Happy Birthday!!!
That piano is such a great present!!!
I like your dinner plan. We went thru a phase where we gave Collin a sectional plate and one section had his dessert (reminded me of old time frozen dinners) and if he ate it first no big deal but that was all he was getting. And I am totally with you on not making them eat a certain amount of food. Keep us updated on how it goes!!!
...back to the piano --- and how exciting to have a new thing to do/learn/have a goal/etc, etc
Oh, happy birthday!
I used to be able to play the piano too. Uh, no more.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
We do no snacks before dinner (and do dinner around the same time as you do). He is allowed water or milk but we usually just keep him going till dinner is ready (playing either outside or in.)
If he is not eating, we tell explain to him how hungry he will be by the morning and some times that gets him to eat a few more bites.
He must be seated the whole meal - he is not allowed to stand up or leave his chair.
We never talk about dessert until he is close to finishing. If he brings it up we say we will talk about dessert after he eats his dinner.
Finally, when he is done he has to ask "may I be excused?" and he needs to clean his plate from the table.
I feel really hard core writing this but we have noticed when we let things go our son just takes over and will eat nothing and come begging for a meal before bed time which is not allowed any more either. I hope things improve for you in this regard!
I agree about the whole singing in the chorus versus singing thing. It was an eye-opener for me I got voice lessons for Christmas and discovered just how much I relied on the voices around me. [sigh]
As for table manners...what exactly *is* "behave"? Stay in your seat? Buttocks on the seat? No talking with your mouth full? Asking to be excused? We (well, I know I was guilty of it many times) insist that children "behave" and then don't explain exactly what "behave" means. Your list looks good to me.
Natural consequences (hunger) are a good thing to learn. Many children in the U.S. don't learn what hunger feels like because they rarely get a chance to experience the sensation. Hunger makes people grumpy so it's a good thing dinner is closer to the end of the day than the beginning!
Good luck!
p.s. HAPPIER BIRTHDAY!!!!
welcome to our world,
THANK YOU for being thorough! "Hard core" is what I'm looking for right now. Your suggestions are great.
kali! good question. "Behave" for us is: don't play with your food, don't wave your fork around or poke it into your placemat, making tiny holes in the vinyl which DRIVES YOUR MOTHER CRAZZZZZY, and do use your manners.
If I think of any more I will let you know.
Happy Birthday!
Your dinner plan sounds promising. We go through phases where behavior at the table is an issue, but it seems to happen when we get in the habit of kids at the table while grownups eat on the couch (watching TV--horrible!). If we all sit together it is a little better. We rarely do dessert, and it is not conditional on eating everything. The kid should not be allowed to make dinner miserable; kicking them out of the kitchen is a-ok with me if they can't get it together. At least at AJ's age. Good luck!
Oh yeah, Mom and Dad being on the same page is key to it working, so the discussion you had was important. Kids notice if one parent is not on board.
Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU YOUNG THING YOU!!!!!!
I was thinking recently that this country is so backwards -- with its marketing and pandering to the young! Bah! Respect your elders, is what I say! And that's my grumpy old lady impression.
Yeah, M has a stubborn streak, already picking her plate up and tossing it on the floor. I'm seeing dinner battles in our future. But perhaps that's negative thinking.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Happy Birthday! That piano looks fantastic. My mom once tried to give me lessons and that DID NOT WORK.
As for dinner, I think you're doing the right thing. One thing we learned though was not to even mention dessert or put it on the table. If we even mentioned that there MIGHT be dessert, Bubba immediately decided he was full and was ready for dessert. Now if we have dessert it's a complete surprise.
Post a Comment