Thursday, January 15

Brain dump

I'm having a wee dinner party Friday. Just one other family and us, and I'm only serving spaghetti with pre-made frozen turkey meatballs -- very fancy -- but it makes me happy. They're new friends, church friends, of which we don't have many. The anticipation and hope that we'll all get along puts a little flip in my heart. Maybe (if I serve enough the right wine) we'll plan future get-togethers. This family has a daughter the same age as AJ and they're applying to St. J's School like we are, so in theory, they could be our first School-Parent-Friends. My mom says when your kids start school, you really start forming lasting friendships for this time of your life, so I've been looking forward to it (panting, really, with my tongue hanging out).

Putting dinner on the calendar gave us the oomph we needed to get the house cleaned this week, and that's always good. Last night I vacuumed in place of working out: a welcome relief.

I am learning to like working out again, but I'll tell you what's kind-of a pain: having to change clothes at 9:00 pm, all the way down to a different bra and socks, just to hop around for 20 minutes. Sigh - my life is so hard, I know. But... y'know?

-----

My co-worker is telling us all about his lymphoma. It's not sounding very good and I'm still not ready to contemplate what it all means for him. He sounds like *he's* processing through it okay, and he's got a good support system (unattached, single 52-yr-old with great friends who are taking care of him), but I do worry for his emotional health, not to mention his physical status. I just... just don't know. This morning while he was talking, that Michael Keaton movie flashed in my mind. What was it called? The really sad one where he makes the videotape for his son? The situation here doesn't seem as sad as that for some reason, but it could very well be. This friend of mine is so smart, and going about it very scientifically -- at least when he tells us about it -- which makes me think about it scientifically instead of emotionally. I want to get emotional about it. Why haven't I? This is someone who sits across from me five days a week. I share little in common with him, but everything about daily details with him. He's the person I get to say, "Man, did you SEE Project Runway last night?!" to; the first one I greet when I walk in the door, Monday through Friday. We used to lunch together 3 days out of 5, before lunch out became passe at our office. I think he's going to be fine, I do. He jokes, "we'll manage this ten years and then I die." I don't know, maybe the C-word isn't as scary as it used to be. Or maybe it is.

I'm babbling. I don't know what I want to say about it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Ah...the C-word. Maybe it's just that cancer seems to be everywhere. People either have it, know someone who has it, are in remission, etc. that it doesn't bring up the awful fear that it used to. I think, too, my reaction would be different if it was someone I worked with versus an immediate family member. All that babbling to say that it's perfectly normal to feel the way you're feeling.

Hope you have a great evening and begin a long friendship! :)

Mandy said...

I hope you have a dinner evening with your new friends!! Cant wait to hear all about it:)

I am sorry about your co-worker .....I wouldnt know how to say what I was feeling about it either, its just one of those weird situations that we are not used to being in ...

nicole said...

Two very different posts in one! Yea for dinner parties. Interestingly, we are not good friends with school parents. Our social time is spent primarily with church friends, whose kids all go to the Catholic school that we have no hope of affording. I want to be friends with the other moms, but I'm the only one with three kids in the car at pickup and I can't get out and visit b/c I would be too busy corralling small people.

I'm sorry for your friend's illness. I think it would be very difficult to process all those feelings.

Anonymous said...

The cancer -- too weird, too many unknowns. I THINK that he's going to be okay for a while, but I don't know.