Wednesday, February 11

Happiest place

A power blip at my office just erased a whole page's worth of a post. Rrr. Stupid me, composing and not-saving in TextEdit instead of Blogger. Lucky you, though, this will probably be shorter than originally intended.

I'm late for a phone conference and my mind is on my suitcase, packed up and home and ready to get on the road to Disney for the rest of the week/weekend. But I have something to share:

I'm starting a new job on the 23rd. I'm leaving my comfort zone, my friends, my career stomping ground, and taking on a new challenge. I'm excited about it -- it's in my field (writing/editing/web content), but in a very different context, so "challenge" is an appropriate word. My commute is officially 5 days away from NIL. My new office is 6 miles from home, with AJ's school on the way. And that fact was about 70% of my decision. I'm so relieved that we can concentrate our family life in one town instead of sprawling all over the metro every day. (Now if only my dentist would move to Marietta, too...)

In short, all the typical phrases apply: It's a great opportunity, it's the right direction for moving my career forward, I'm going to feel challenged but have something to offer, the location is perfect, and it feels like all the stars lined up to put this into my path right when I need it.

So we're taking the family to Disney. It's mostly to celebrate the 1-year birthday of KT! Can you believe it's been a year?? Neither can I. I hope she'll giggle and clap and kick her feet, and look at the pictures years later with a smile, even though she won't remember the trip. For me it's a fun way to end this 2 months of waiting, wondering, planning, interviewing, stressing (really stressing), talking, and finally telling. I'm happy.

11 comments:

Tess said...

Hey, congrats on the new job and also I am going to need a new picture of you in your new office. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for this post! Congratulations! You deserve all the best!!!

I'll come out of mourning in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

LL said...

Yay, that's great!! A short commute covers a lot of possible employer sins.

And how exciting about your vacation- it's a good week for news!

MaryB said...

((hugs)) and big smiles!

Drinks are on me! (No, wait, you are the one with a job!, oh, heck, they can still be on me)

Love you!

nicole said...

Congratulations! It sounds like a great thing. Have fun at Disney. Can't wait for pictures and stories when you come back.

Mandy said...

yay .. congrats, that is reallygood news!!! and have a great trip!!!!

Christina Schmidt said...

Have a blast! We just came back on Tuesday and it was a lot of fun and work!! Enjoy!

Skiplovey said...

Congrats on the new job, that's awesome! Sweet news on the commute.

Julie said...

Congratulations on the new job...sounds perfect! And have a GREAT time at Disney. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like a fantastic opportunity... so exciting! Enjoy your time at Disney. Take lots of pictures!