Saturday, March 7

Spring today

It's 75 and sunny here today, and probably similar in lots of places, especially around the southeast. We're going to a little party tonight and the combination of those two facts inspired me to have a DIY pedicure this afternoon. I can't tell you how long it's been since I painted my toenails. What a difference a little polish makes, I swear. I had forgotten how much I like my own pretty feet. :)

It's silly, really, but it made me realize that the past year I've been going around claiming to be unable to do all these things -- like painting my toenails, redecorating the den, buying new throw pillows -- because of not having enough time or money. And it's true, I haven't had enough time or money, but I think it's time to come back to life, in a sense. KT's one now, you know? I mean, no one can fault a working person with a baby and a 4-year-old for sitting unproductively on Saturdays and Sundays while her kids play around her, I don't think. But the little bit of effort it has taken this afternoon to get a little bit dolled up... if it made me feel this good, maybe a little dolling up of other areas wouldn't hurt, either. And I don't just mean decorating, I just mean DOING things. There's no reason we can't: Go out to brunch sometimes. Get dressed up sometimes and go on a date. Touch up the baseboards with a little fresh paint. Start a project (ahem, photo albums). Buy a new handbag just because. Clean out the filing cabinets. Visit the floral department of Publix and for heaven's sake, buy a $10 bouquet of carnations. Some of those things aren't necessarily FUN projects, but I guess I've just assumed I couldn't complete things, so I didn't start them -- all year. But maybe it's time.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I know exactly how you feel ..and I swear, just opening all the windows yeasterday to let fresh air in felt good!! Hope you had a nice time at the party!!!

nicole said...

Me too. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic reminder. You sound just like me: I've been putting so many things off because of "the baby." Who is now one, so I think that excuse is getting a little tired.

I am SUPER jealous of your warm weather... we're still in the 30's and 40's here!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm with you. But as you said, that first year is tough. I'm almost two years into motherhood, so I think I need to open a few more windows (thanks for that analogy, Mandy).

Skiplovey said...

Yay for you. I totally know what you mean, sometimes I seems like I spend more time talking myself out of something rather than just doing it. Crazy huh?