Thursday, April 16

Pay It Forward time! Summer Camp edition

I promised you guys a giveaway and I'm just dying to go stand in line at the Post Office, so let's go!

If you want to win
-- some pampery items from Avon (KT's teacher just started selling it and I love her, and want to help her out)
-- some goodies from our favorite, Target
-- some cookies from the Byrd Cookie Company in Savannah
-- and whatever else strikes my fancy

leave a comment on this post by Sunday, April 19, at 10:00 pm. Tell me what your summer child care slash "summer camp" plans are. If you don't have kids, tell me about YOUR childhood summers.

I'm interested because this year, we'll enroll AJ in our daycare's "camp" for the first time -- he'll be going on field trips nearly every day. We also have a week between that and the first day of Kindergarten... I think I'll be asking a set of grandparents to visit! (hint, hint, Mom.) DH used to spend summers with his grandparents. Any of you do that, or send your kids to do that? I think it's such an idyllic-sounding thing to have in your childhood memory bank. You'd think so too, if you'd been to his grandparents' house in the mountains in Virginia. Anyway, I'm thinking about the topic.

I'll do the random number generator thing and send someone a PRIZE!

Just for the heck of it!

11 comments:

Mandy said...

Last year Collin did the day camp thingy at his school and this year we opted out .. I want some non stress of "lets get dressed and out the door" at a certain time" time and some non tuition paying time in the hopes that we nonrev to places like a day trip to DC or do other "fun" things without the restriction of a schedule .. I wonder at what point I will regret that??

As a kid I went to girl scout camp every summer till the 7th grade, we also spent a lot of time in Louisiana with the grandparents but never really alone for any stretch of time. I am, however, NOT against pawning Collin off on his grandparents though!!

I bet AJ will have a blast on all those field trips!!

So there, I paved the way for a winner b/c when does the first one win???

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about this summer because it's the first for which Madeline will be mobile. She's only 14 months, so no real "camp" stuff for her, but we'll be spending LOTS of time outside.

There are lots of parks in our area, so I'm anticipating some time on the swings, along with lots of playtime in the garden while I work.

We may be installing a sandbox... if I have my way, that is. :) I think she'll LOVE it!

juliloquy said...

Hi El-E-E,

I got caught up on your last few posts just now; thanks for this.

Our plans *had* been to just continue at the current daycare but now everything is in the air because we are moving to Maryland with my husband's job! Which means I'm leaving my job May 15. We've been concentrating on selling our house and buying one in MD, so I haven't thought much about summer beyond that, except for thinking I will wait until perhaps August to do any real job searching. So, that's a pretty big change for us - the sahm gig. We'll see if I can take it! I have plans for exploring our new city, going to the pool and parks.

Childcare-wise, I'm glad we're shaking things up, because Shmoo has been at the same daycare since he was 5 months old and he won't start kindergarten until fall 2010 (Nov b-day).

Hope AJ likes camp - sounds like a blast!

nicole said...

My kids have never done the summer camp thing. This summer the girls are going to try tennis for the first time, but it is not a camp. We'll of course do VBS too.

I spend a few weeks in CA babysitting my cousins for a couple of summers. It was the best job b/c I got paid to take them to the beach, the movies, etc. My aunt and uncle paid for everything too, so it was basically getting paid to vacation. :)

Morgan S. said...

Hello! My little ones will continue on as normal with their full time daycare. Things are slow at my office, so there is always hope I will get laid off and then they can spend the summer with me at home!

maggie said...

Summer camp is Me and My Zoo Membership. And grandma's house when mommy needs a retail therapy break.

Pick ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!

Julie said...

Keith is going to continue at his regular child care this summer. Emily is going to summer camp at the YMCA -- they will swim, go on field trips, have art lessons, etc. We heart the YMCA!

sdw said...

I can't participate, because Madison will do the same ol', same ol', and as a kid I hung out with Mom. I actually did work quite a bit on the farm when I was old enough. My across-the-street neighbor is having a summer camp for two year olds, and I would love for Madison to participate, but we can't see spending the money AND depriving the grandmothers of their baby for a week.

lindsey said...

hello. it appears i've discovered a new friend. my daughter will actually be designing costumes at a theatre camp for kids this summer! growing up, my brothers and i never went to camp. our summers were spent outside just playing - playing hide and seek, kick the can, lathering ourselves in baby oil and loafing out by the community pool, meeting the ice cream truck and scarfing down creamsicles, and stuffing our faces with shakey's pizza. here's to drowning in summer goodness.

hugs

3carnations said...

You had me at cookies.

My son's daycare is open year round. His preschool ends at the end of May, so the hours he would normally spend in preschool will be spent in his regular daycare room.

As far as other summer plans, probably a camping trip or two, and if our employment holds up, maybe a small overnight trip somewhere.

Sam said...

Our summer child care situation won't change, since I am at home with my little monster child. :) I plan to do lots of outside playing in the mornings, and to take advantage of our apartment complex's pool. It's super nice and Thomas loves the fountains all around it. It gets so hot here, I'm sure we'll be taking advantage of the many inside places with A/C (like the children's museum) when we're really dying for something different!