Thursday, September 10

Wonderful rambling post

I want to be able to write wonderful, rambling posts (that still feel literary) like Julia does. Or the informative, excellent history-keeping posts like Indigo Girl. I guess this will be an attempt to combine the two.

The kids are really showing some personality traits. AJ is exhibiting quite the capacity for art, specifically drawing, although that might just be part of the Kindergarten package. I remember last fall when I was teaching Sunday School (oh, did I not tell you? I am not teaching again this year. I didn't feel like I could commit to it. And then of course, a lovely man stood up last Sunday at Mass and gave his "testimony" -- as much as a Catholic can give "testimony", ha -- about teaching 7th-grade Sunday School, and how this year he really thought he couldn't do it again, but... turns out he couldn't give up his Calling... Guilt! Guilt! Guilt! But, oh well, maybe I'll return to it another year. I do LOVE running into my former students at church. They get all giggly.) ANYway, last year I noticed that ALL the Kindergarteners in my class could draw -- or at least, they weren't at all inhibited to think that they couldn't. I love that. But AJ seems to really enjoy it. He doesn't draw on every available surface or sheet of paper like one of his cousins, but he does love Thursdays when he has Art Class, and our driveway is full of chalk masterpieces. Robots, ships, and aliens mostly. He's always had a great ear for music, too, which makes Mommy's heart glad -- he has sung ON PITCH since he was tiny. KT, on the other hand, speaks her songs so far. Sprechstimme, it's called in opera and German -- a word my nerd music friends and I got a kick out of in college. AJ and I will sing "A, B, C, D, E, F..." and pause for KT to show what she knows. She'll insert a very deadpan, "Deee." It's so cute. So to sum up, AJ: Art(s), I think.

He's also worrying us slightly because he gets so wrapped up in his imagination sometimes that he fails to respond when people -- adults or kids -- talk to him. The other day at T-ball, 3 different teammates tried to talk to him and I think he plainly ignored them all. We're perplexed, and don't want him to be the Weird Kid. ;) The other problem is that he sometimes won't speak up when he needs something from a teacher. Example: if he needs help opening a lunch item like his milk. He'll say, "Well, Mrs. C. didn't see my hand so I didn't get to drink it." He reports this with a sad face. We're trying to tell him that it's not good manners to ignore people, and that if he needs help he needs to ASK. All these little learning curves.

T-ball has been fun, by the way. At least for me. Those batting helmets are YOOGE on the little kids, though. They bobble around while the kids run the bases. So funny. The scheduling hasn't really been troublesome, either -- a relief. On days when we have a 6pm game, we've managed just fine. Luckily the field is less than 10 minutes from our house. I really love being there, for some reason. All the parents and siblings, the concession stand, the lights when it starts to get dark, the crack of the bat... feels very "hometown" and comforting.

KT at almost 19 months is making so much progress. She mimicks every little word we say which gives AJ something to do: "KT, say, 'It spilled.' Say 'Band-Aid.' Say 'Tay-toes.'" I keep telling him it's going to confuse her to say "It spilled" when NOTHING DID, and to cut it out. But whatever. They're funny to watch. When they play together happily (usually chasing each other), it's the best thing in the world.

KT, however, is also a grumpy gus in the mornings. I said to DH the other day that I don't think she's ever, in her whole life, woken up happy. Always crying. And grouchy! Our morning routine is to go downstairs immediately and get her a sippy of milk, which she drinks while we all snuggle on the couch for a minute. That's been the routine since forever! But lately she fusses and whines and doesn't want her milk, doesn't want a snack, can't even be calmed with Barney – she loves Barney, and why haven't either of my kids chosen Blue's Clues as their first love instead?? She also loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, though, so that's good, we're indoctrinating her properly – it makes for a somewhat unpleasant start to the day (and a definite bummer during snuggle time).

She's also a FLIRT. Especially when asked for kisses. She plainly refuses with a distinct, "Nooo." And then a little sly grin as she runs away. Mischievous imp!

I need to get to work now. Except to report that tomorrow night (hooray for a short week, Friday is already TOMORROW!) we are having a Date Night. I am very excited to have dinner and wine and a babysitter. God Bless the babysitter.

I leave you with a photo that we had taken recently. I can't resist that portrait place. My walls are in danger of becoming swiss cheese with all the frames I want to hang.

3 comments:

nicole said...

Cute!

I love going to our sports games too, most of the time. Well, when the stars align and every child is happy and cooperative and the weather is perfect and I'm all smiling and happy and such a together Mom! that everyone admires. Which never happens, but I still mostly enjoy the sports. Very good community feelings.

Butterfly is a flirt too! And a pistol! And fiercely independent. But she is talk, talk, talking up a storm finally and it is making life easier to know what she wants now.

Yea date night!

ya-ya ma said...

I LOVE the photo!!!

sdw said...

Thank you for all the news! I love the rambling. I think AJ and KT sound wonderful, normal, and special. I've worried about the imagination thing already, myself. I think it's cute/neat when M talks about her pretend friends, but I also have this niggling worry, especially when she gets really insistent about one of them and what he/she is doing. M usually wakes up happy, but quite often she doesn't want to get out of bed. This week she even put a hand on my chest and pushed me away. That was not a good feeling. Biggest problem (with M) right now: M is hating her little "school." She loved it the first two times and hated it the next two times. Hope next week is better.