As usual, I should be spending my time posting stories to my work websites instead of this one, but eh. It's December 18th. The mind is not jiving with work right now.
Yesterday was our hardest day of the Christmas season so far. Everything piled up to land on that particular Thursday -- KT's classroom party at daycare, for which I had signed up to bring cupcakes, and no, I didn't allow myself to simply purchase them, I wanted to BAKE and FROST and even SPRINKLE ever-so-lovingly... (perhaps stupid?) plus we had to bring a wrapped gift. So that was to start. (And also the night before until 11... cooling, then frosting.)
My day at work started immediately upon arrival, with a "brainstorming" meeting for 2 hours. A "brainstorming" meeting is appropriately named. Everyone's thoughts were thrown into the middle of the room (well, screen, it was a teleconference), and the person taking notes didn't even do so in a linear fashion -- his notes looked like one of those "tag clouds" on purpose. Argh. That set my mind spinning and I could not stop for at least a few hours afterward. I worked through lunch, tried most unsuccessfully to focus until 4:30, and then...
It was the night of AJ's very first school Christmas program. He played a cow. An adorable one if I do say so, and thank the Baby Jesus there was no sewing involved. I zoomed over to school to pick him up from after-care, grabbed KT, who'd bumped her cheek, pulled out a large clump of hair along with her barette, and stained her cute Christmas sweater-dress at the party -- with my chocolate cupcakes! We patronized a drive-thru, stopped at home to potty, costume up, and let the dog out, met DH, and off we went... to "Penance." This, I learned, is the name the parents have given, over the years, to the 2.5-hour festival of song and narration that is the Christmas program.
I've been meaning to go to Penance all Advent, so that worked out. (har)
Naturally the Kindergarteners were the last to perform.
Also, to remind you, 22-month-old kids do not sit well for 2.5 hour festivals of song and narration. Wiggle Worm! At least she was mostly quiet. We did remember the paci (don't judge, we will wean her someday) and a snack-pack of Craisins -- the silver bullet.
It was not that bad, but sadly, I barely saw AJ during his song, and I was so tired by that point I mostly didn't care. I knew he was having fun, plenty of other paparzzi -- I mean, Kindergarten parents -- got photos, and I guess we'll have several years of this ahead of us! We'll sit closer next time, perhaps. Thankfully, there was no obligatory reception afterwards!
It was a long day, but worth it for the check-box in our Family Life category Christmas pageants. Check! Part of what Christmas is all about, indeed. :)
5 comments:
2 1/2 HOURS, are you KIDDING ME? Ava's program was 45 minutes, and I thought that was way too much for preschoolers. They just couldn't hang.
This was K-5th, so it was going to take a while. Even if they'd all just sung 1 song.
I agree 45 minutes is LONG for preschoolers. Yeesh!
You are a trooper!! Homemade, frosted cupcakes, and all! Go, mom! I can't believe any school would have a program that long for little kids. And with grade K performing last. Penance, indeed! And poor KT. What a tale of woe. I know it was hard. I'm glad for you that it's over.
Yay you, for making it through the day!
2 1/2 hours is too long! Ours was about 1 1/2 hours with the kindergarteners last. It was K-8 but the "graders" did songs in groups with 2 grades each. We were wimps and got a sitter for our 2 1/2 year old. He is HORRIBLE about sitting still. We barely make it through the 1/2 hour of church left after returning from Children's Litergy.
Post a Comment