Tuesday, July 13

Advice for the shopping impaired

I’m wearing one of those giant rings that are popular these days. It’s awesome, and so NOT ME. I am just not stylish in any way. Well, maybe one way – I usually have decent hair, only because I like to keep it short, and in order for short hair to be decent hair, it needs a good cut and shape. But clothing and accessories-wise, forget it. I am five-dollar tee shirts and 2 pairs of Payless shoes all summer. I am the same cheap purse from April through November. I am a solid or a floral print, period. I bore myself! But these big showy rings, I like. (They do get in the way of typing, though, and washing hands.)

When I bought them, I was doing my shopping for work. And because the layout had already been decided, I knew I needed items in shades of blue or orange. I want to share this with you because it was so helpful: just shopping for a few things, all in the same color family, was a VERY comfortable way to do it. I felt freed, somehow, from all of my usual constraints:
  • The racks and racks of clothes didn’t overwhelm me, because my eyes went only to the colors I was looking for.
  • I shopped for the layout – as in, what will look good grouped together on the page, with a clean, white background. Imagining things in groups that way was a totally new perspective that helped me vary what I chose.
  • I shopped by department. After I’d found a blouse, for example, I knew I could move on to shoes. I was DONE with blouses. No need to dilly-dally or make sure I’d found everything I could find. Time to move on.

I’ve always been a visual learner, I guess, but didn’t realize it until now. Taking copious notes in school was actually my way of visualizing. Here’s a peek at what I bought that day:


I think this would work if you have a monthly clothes budget, too. Or if your girlfriend invites you shopping, and you allot $150 to spend on yourself, for instance. Think of a few items you might like: a new necklace or bracelet, one shirt, a pair of shoes, and one other accessory. Depending on where you go, you could do all of that – in one color family. You don’t want everything the same, of course – instead, you want a red/pink/black floral print, a fire-engine red purse, a silver necklace, maybe with pink Swaroski crystals, and black/red strappy sandals. It doesn’t all have to be “an outfit,” but it could if you wanted it to. You might never buy black/red strappy sandals if you didn’t shop within that color. But hey! Look at you now! Stylish!

I’m just dying to try this again. We took the kids to the mall during July 4th weekend – they never go there so it was very exciting for them (AJ especially wanted to hit the gumball machine kiosk). That day, we were shopping for DH, not for me, but as I walked around Macy’s I decided the next time I shop, it’s going to be this method. Rainbow Brite Shopping. I’ll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

nicole said...

I love shopping! I like your idea too, since I am usually on a budget. Have you been to polyvore.com? It is the online window shopping version of your method. Lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I need a "new shopping attitude."

MaryB said...

LOVE this! And, LOVE big rings which are also SO NOT me!

Want to go to Barnie's for an ice coffee and go shopping at Units? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

MaryB said...

above comment OBVIOUSLY from ME and NOT Ricardo....like he would even know what Units was....

Lee said...

MB- yes!! Barnies! That was the best part of shopping, back in the day.

bessie.viola said...

I am like you with the limited pallette of colors, but I like fun and colorful earrings. I may have to try rings along with your Rainbow Brite method!