Sometimes when I think back on weekends, I'm like, "What did we even DO?" So, to answer my own question:
Friday night, we had oven-baked chicken strips, rice (mac-n-cheese for the kids), and green beans for dinner. We gave the kids baths. They chased each other around naked. We read stories; I put KT to bed while AJ and his Daddy watched their shows (Ben10 and GeneratorRex). We went downstairs and I read a couple pages of my book. I sacked out. DH played some video games.
Saturday, we had breakfast (sausage/pancake on a stick for kids, and turkey-sausage muffins for me and DH). We watched cartoons. The little ones played in the living room (KT is getting Ad.Or.A.Ble, playing with her dolls. Putting them to bed, rocking/patting, talking to them.) while I dusted and DH got the yard mowed. After that, the kids and I went to Target for school supplies, Barbie clothes (on clearance!), and for AJ to frivolously spend a birthday gift card. ($30 for a toy he later declared "Lame.") We brought lunch home. Kids were happy to drink Sprite. We played some more, I think I ordered AJ's 1st-grade textbooks to the tune of $226, and DH and I took our showers. Then I went to Mass to do my once-monthly cantoring gig. I think I decided to rejoin the church choir, because my sight reading skills have definitely dwindled. Can't let that happen, even though choir is a giant commitment that tires me just thinking about it. When I came home, KT had napped a little (Thank the Lord), and I threw together some pizzas for dinner. Stories, bed, annnnd ZONK! on the couch again.
Sunday morning we all went to Mass. KT wore her beautiful Strasbourg Children dress, bought on sale, that I adore. It's a little big, which I hope means she'll also be able to wear it next summer. They were mostly good, we saw a lot of acquaintances, including our neighbor who told me I need to sign up to be a lector, and the little girl who wrote "I am going to marrey you" in AJ's yearbook. Hee. Dunkin Donuts afterwards. KT went, and then announced to the whole restaurant, "I WENT PEE PEE!" She is doing quite well with potty training but I'm SO weary of it. AJ had his 45 minutes of screen-time, then we wrote his birthday thank-yous, about which he pitched a major fit. He got through it. Spaghetti-Ohs for lunch. Played outside, a fabulous bubble-blowing party. DH and I decided we need to get a battery-powered bubble machine, and move our deck chairs to the driveway where we can crack open a drink while the kids run around. Why have we not thought of this before?! We had popsicles for snack, then went inside because it was starting to rain. Kids "helped" me make banana bread. No naps. Cleaned a potty. Watched some baseball, and some dumb kids' movie on Disney while doing laundry. Wanted dinner out, but because of no naps, we opted to make turkey burgers instead. Kids "helped." DH continued with laundry because he is the best. Baths -- I'm enjoying my 10 minute break to read now that they're old enough to play relatively safely in the bath -- a serious talk with AJ about why he needs to STOP jumping on the bed with KT around, stories, and bed. I managed to stay awake to watch a weird show on Animal Planet, and some Family Guy. We went to bed around 10.
I don't know if we are extremely boring or totally normal. What did you do this weekend?
6 comments:
The crazy thing is that I seriously don't remember parts of the weekend. I know I got home early Friday. I think I took M to play with a neighbor and then cooked supper. Late to bed for all of us. Saturday -- We made bacon and pancakes, played and played, went for a bicycle ride (M has a seat on my bike and we don't go far -- we stop to play in the woods while D keeps biking), and cooked supper. Late to bed for all of us. Sunday -- M woke us up really early. I turned off D's alarm and sent him back to bed, which resulted in not getting ready for church on time. We played and cooked a birthday lunch for D's Mom (I cooked and D grocery shopped). D's Mom and sister and bro-in-law stayed until late afternoon, then I mowed the lawn and took M to a park. D and I planned 20th anniversary trip. Went to bed late, exhausted. That's it! I actually really enjoyed it, and it doesn't get more boring than that!
Oh, I forgot to mention the many chores that came in between all the playing -- mopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, laundry, etc., etc.
20th anniversary! Sherry, that is awesome! Where are you going?? :)
(And I love your weekend.)
20th -- I think we're going to Seattle. We were debating between Seattle and New York, but I've pretty much decided that I can stay away from Madison for 4 nights in order to make the trip West. We've been to NY a bunch -- love it, but a new city would be more exciting. BTW, we have a new library book called "Don't Jump on the Bed," or something like that. Oh, another BTW, I quit reading The Meaning of Night -- too weird and violent. Started reading Escape because of you. Also weird and violent, actually, but in a different way!
That sounds so totally normal. It's always very similar for us, though this weekend was a bit odd in the Special Events category: we got to babysit a friend's 5mo old, our 16yr old niece came to stay, and my goddaughter was baptized. So, lots going on there!
Love seeing that our busy yet lazy weekends are being had elsewhere.
Sounds a lot like our weekends. Prior to leaving for camping on Sunday afternoon/evening we spent a lot of the weekend packing and getting supplies.
Post a Comment