Last Friday, I went to a yoga class. I have been wanting to take a class again for a long time -- a really long time -- and I have done a lot of yoga, on my own, since the last time I took a class, in 1999. YES. Fourteen years ago! Shawn and I signed up together for a beginners' class when we were dating, for a "semester," and we walked to the yoga studio near his apartment every Sunday afternoon. It was lovely.
Since then, I have done yoga DVDs, prenatal yoga, made-up variations based on how I like to stretch, and yoga On Demand on TV. I've learned a lot of the poses that we were too "newbie" to learn, in that first class (in fact, I think the thing we did most in that first class was Savasana, the corspe pose, which we called "sleeping" and one guy in our class called "snoring").
So I decided on a whim last week to do a Google search, I found a 45-minute noon class near my office, and went all alone to check it out. I had to be brave. I don't like working out with other people. And when I got there, there were several young, lithe girls with their hair in perfect messy buns, wearing fitted spaghetti-strap tank tops and tight pants. Thankfully, there was also a grey-haired man in a t-shirt, so I felt like I could bridge that gap.
Our 20-something cheerleader/ballerina instructor (I read her bio online) spoke in that wonderfully soothing way that yoga instructors speak, and she got us started right away with some Cat-Cow poses and quickly into Chaturanga. We did lots and lots of Chaturangas (push-ups, basically, if you don't know). I didn't notice them at the time but I NOTICED 8 HOURS AFTERWARDS. Good lord.
I could follow along, mostly, although she did some sequences differently than I'd done them before. I got so hot and sweaty, I was embarrassed. And my face always gets more red than strictly necessary. I hadn't pulled my newly-long hair back, either, and that was a mistake. I looked like a literal hot mess. I couldn't keep my mind properly free of worry; mostly I was thinking, "Surely it'll be over soon??" Also some "I feel fat and is everyone looking at me? Am I doing this wrong?" Clearly, I have some things to work on, mentally. Physically, I was able to keep up. I kind-of wish it had been less vinyasa and more "learn some poses," but challenge is good, right? I'm trying to decide if and when I'll go back. I might need to be even MORE brave to do that. Show my face again, heh. But it was a really great workout, for sure, and I continued the deep, calming breaths through the rest of the afternoon, which felt lovely.
At the end of class, the instructor called it "sweet Savasana," which is so perfect.
5 comments:
Shavasana = sleeping = snoring, hahaha! Love it!
Jilly used to do yoga. Do you think you will progress, as she did, to IronMan?
Seriously, though, good for you!! I need to find something to get my body moving. Just don't know what.
Namaste.
No way will I progress to IronMan! You have got to be kidding. ;)
I think I'm going to get a Yoga DVD from the library and see if Madison is interested in doing it with me. Maybe? Way to go. You made me laugh with your inner thoughts.
You know, I've never tried yoga. This made me want to try it... although the "class" experience for me is similar to what you described. Lots of inner dialogue about what I'm doing wrong/wearing wrong/etc. The last class I took was kickboxing and OY. I did not go back, mostly because I was highly intimidated by all the amazingly fit girls kicking the crap out of that bag. ;)
Yes, I am not good at the "class" thing and I hope I'll get better. I decided I had to endure it, in order to do SOMETHING active, regularly. Because "making myself" do it on my own is not working. My 2nd class is Friday - I'll report back. :)
Post a Comment