I did find my Christmas spirit. :) I stayed sick through the day after Christmas, at 3:00. It was that precise, the moment I felt better. Until then I just felt like I was in a fog. The doctor had just said, "Viral," and kicked me out of her office with no prescription. Thanks a lot, doc. I did get to skip the Midnight Mass choral extravaganza, which was sort-of a bummer, but on the other hand not, because who wants to get out at 10:00 on Christmas Eve, anyway?!
But our quiet, just the four of us Christmas morning was really lovely. The kids were appropriately excited both the night before and upon waking up and seeing that Santa "really did" come! We worried that there wouldn't be enough of the big-ticket gifts, but we needn't have. We're lucky to have pretty easy-to-please kids, as far as gifts go. :) So, no iPads or tablets this year, and everyone is just fine with that. Let's see, for posterity -- Alex got the Skylanders Swap game, some Naruto cards, a Naruto book, a Professor Layton DS game, the movie "Epic," a Minecraft t-shirt, an origami set, two Lego Chima sets (600 pieces!), an iTunes gift card (from us, not Santa) and an alarm clock. Kate got the light-up dry erase board, the two main character barbie-like dolls from Frozen, several books (Rainbow Fairies, The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables - simplified, illustrated editions), a small Nerf Rebelle dart-shooter, Hello Kitty pajamas, a DS Game called "Doodlejump," the Katy Perry movie on DVD, the same alarm clock as Alex, a voice-activated diary (from us) and 2 outfits for her Build-A-Bear.
Mom and Dad arrived late Christmas Day, and we had appetizers (spinach dip, bacon-wrapped pineapple) and then an easy dinner of honey-baked ham, dressing, mashed potatoes & corn, and a green salad. We used the Lenox Holiday china. I think after dinner, I went to the couch and might not have gotten back up. I know I napped at least once the next day... maybe twice.
Alex has already put together his two new Lego sets, and Kate has played
with her light-up dry erase board, and actually they've both been
playing pretend quite well over the last 4 days -- finding ways to keep occupied, mostly
without fighting. Today's the first day Mom and Dad are keeping them while Shawn and I are at work and I hope the "without fighting" part continues! I'm worried that they're going to get cabin fever (the kids), even though we've taken them out -- to a lights display in downtown Atlanta on Friday night, and to my cousin's house last night. But maybe they can run around outside for a while and not notice. They still have several new movies they can watch today.
We're going to have potato soup for dinner tonight, and I have plenty of work here to make the day go by. I'm thinking about the end of 2013 -- happy it was a nice year, wanting to end it on a good, productive, feel-good note. :) Perhaps more to come on that topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment