I almost took that post from Tuesday down. No need to spew my bad mood all over the place. But.... yes. There IS a need to, because it feels good to get it out of my head. It's a journal, and journals are for FEELINGS, and I'm nothing if not rich in feelings.
Here's how I feel about something: I don't know why everyone's so heated up about the Elf on the Shelf. There is no direct commandment from the creators of that thing to make the Elf do any "antics!" NONE! In the little book that comes with the Elf, it only says he finds a place to sit and the kids have to find him! If you're thinking you have to be all kinds of creative and come up with tiny marshmallow habitats or clever plays on Elfin daily activities, or worse, that you have to wreck your own home in the name of "elf mischief," you have been swindled by Pinterest and Facebook and it's your own fault!
Now admittedly, Shawn and I produce big sighs about having to find a new place for him some nights, and we sometimes forget, but all the complaining that goes down on social media, and all the 800-word blog posts about how one little red doll has ruined Christmas -- I'm weary. Stop doing it if you don't like it, ya idiot.
Our tree is up, with the usual amount of parental angst and bickering, and also the usual number of ornaments on the bottom half of the tree where the kids automatically go, no matter how many times I say, "don't forget the back of the tree!" We had excellent laughs, however, at our photo ornaments of babies who were afraid of Santa. They got "front and center" status, and I dearly hope to have at least ONE party at our house so that other people can experience the joy of those pictures.
I need a floor lamp in that space, however. This weekend, we need to shop for outdoor Christmas decor (our first! Because new house!) and a floor lamp. Oh, and maybe some gifts for others, heh. I still have to ship a few things, don't I? Eek.
2 comments:
I laughed out loud at "it's your own fault!" Ha! This is the time of the year when it's almost impossible not to want to shop online rather than work. Right now I'd rather shop online than bake the lava cakes the theatre needs -- not an onerous task. I can so identify with the Need for A's. The thought of a review makes me CRINGE!
I'm going to be honest - I had a bit of a panicky moment when Maddie came home from school talking about elves in other people's houses. I am TERRIBLE at remembering that sort of thing and feel like I would be a perpetual letdown! But I think it really is a fun thing, even though some parents take it to crazy extremes - but like you said, Pinterest'll do that to people.
I'm so glad that other people let the kids decorate the tree too - I've been seeing so many picture-perfect trees, but I love my clumped-in-one-spot, decorated-with-q-tip-and-cotton-ball-angels tree too. :) And I know it's only for a short time!
Also, HURRAH for online shopping! It's how Santa gets it DONE. ;)
Post a Comment