First of all, I didn't get sick on Christmas Eve! Amazing in itself.
Second of all, the Santa presents turned out exactly even. Or, even enough that I was perfectly satisfied. Shawn had done some prep work while I was singing at Midnight Mass, so when I got home the setup was pretty easy. We got to bed around 2:30am. Oof! Had made the kids promise, after they said they would be getting up at 6:00am, to pleeeeeeeeease wait until 6:30. And they did. ;) Evidently, their alarms went off at 6:00, but they waited in Kate's room, probably giggling and squee-ing just like Jill and I used to do (and peeking), until the stroke of 6:30. I had woken up a few minutes before they came tip-toeing into our room, whispering, "I'll get Mommy, you get Daddy." So adorable to get to hear the excitement in their whispers. I'm grateful God nudged me awake for that tiny gift.
They loved their presents and were just as happy and excited as they could be. It was awesome. And then, because we didn't have anywhere we had to go, or anything we had to dress up to do (no going to Mass! Two on Christmas Eve was enough!), we stayed in our pajamas until 1:00 pm, and just enjoyed being together. I started the coffee after we finished presents, turned on some Christmas music in the kitchen (how I love having our old iPhone on speakers in the kitchen!), started making crepes, and the kids played with each one of their new things in succession. Shawn and I were able to get on the floor and help/play with them, too, and allowed ourselves to do that. Even when I was making crepe batter, I told myself there was no schedule, and I could pause a few minutes to look at something when Kate asked me to. (I really need to work on doing that more often on regular days.) The crepes didn't take too long, much Nutella was had, Shawn did the dishes, we turned on Christmas Vacation for the 2nd time and laughed when Cousin Eddy said, "Shitter was full!" ....and how fun is it, that the kids are old enough to enjoy a few naughty words here and there and we can trust there won't be repercussions?...
At one point during the still-early morning, Kate wanted to take her bow and arrow outside to shoot it. I took my coffee cup and sat on the porch while she did, and it was cool, crisp outside without being uncomfortable. And sunny! After 3-4 days of grey and rain, the sun was out! There's not much I love more than being outside in the morning. We stayed out there about 20 minutes. Another perfect gift.
The whole thing was just blissful. Quiet, and warm inside, the kids worked hard to get along all day, and we soaked it all up. I took a tiny nap and didn't feel guilty. I think Shawn did, too. Later in the afternoon I poured some red wine and put together a huge lasagna and a salad. We ate in the dining room with the Lenox Holiday -- candlelight dinner! -- and talked about what a great day it had been. Shawn did the dishes AGAIN, even the fine china (thank you so much, Honey).
Truly, a Christmas day to remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment