Monday, July 25

Monday morning yapping

Our every-minute-planned summer, is nearing its end. I'm naturally finding it hard to believe, but at the same time, June also seems like eons ago.

Yesterday we bought school supplies. Those included a Swiss Army brand backpack for Alex, who hasn't had a new one in 3 years. He chose it himself, but we didn't realize until the cash register that it was a one-hundred-dollar backpack! Yipes. Still, a kid ought to have extremely nice things once in a while and not always the cheapest. So I bought it without another thought. ENJOY that backpack (until your sophomore year of high school at least), kiddo. ;)

Thankfully, and after an initial whine, Kate realized her Jansport from last year is still in FINE condition, and didn't bother me at the store about wanting a new one even though Alex was getting one. (And in the process she earned herself a Vera Bradley one for a Christmas gift, if I can remember. *goes to make a reminder note on the iPhone*)

We've had 1 week of well-received evening meals, and I have another one planned. Last week:
M- Bourbon Salmon (from the Publix seafood counter), wild rice, green beans
T- Chicken Tetrazini (I'd been wanting to make it for WEEKS) - with Alex away it was a good time, since he's not so much into the creamy casseroles. I think we made a Caesar salad to go with it.
W- BBQ sandwiches with Stouffer's Harvest Apples. Yes, they're both ready-made foods, but I whipped up a jalepeno cole slaw that Shawn really liked, so I felt quite accomplished indeed.
TH- Frozen Pizza (sorry not sorry) and salad, this time with tomatoes and cheese and croutons, you're welcome, Shawn
F- We went out to Bahama Breeze.

Okay, so it really wasn't that impressive, but at least I'd planned the days and we ate in every night but the one. ;) This week:

S- Spaghetti w/meatballs, garlic bread
M- Fish Tacos (just fish sticks for the kids), jalepeno cole slaw, and mac and cheese
T- Chicken Tortilla Soup (crockpot)
W- Sausage and potatoes (small pieces that are easier for Alex to eat with his braces)
TH- Chicken Patty sandwiches
F- (I think we're going out with some friends)

Why do I feel the need to record our daily suppers? I don't know! It's a weird quirk and a throwback to public mommy-blogging, I guess.

Over the weekend I did a LOT of cleaning out of clothes. Kate had received yet another giant 2 bags of hand-me-downs from our friends. Again, I'm so appreciative. But there are SO MANY things she either doesn't like or will never wear (15 pairs of athletic shorts, puffy-sleeved things, random event t-shirts...) so it always takes me a long time to sort through it all. For the moment, 3 of her 7 dresser drawers have been reorganized, and the closet emptied of things that were too small. (Some of which are going to Pensacola for the cousins, by the way, Mom and Dad.) Next round will be when it's time to switch over to fall. It's a full-time job, keeping up with the kids' clothes, I tell you! Reminds me of Grandmother, who rightly said it's real work to run a household.

Saturday the kids go to Mom and Dad's for their week of grandparents-and-cousins time. I think it's a nice way for them to end their break, with backyard pool parties and kitchen-table goodness. :) Wish I could go, but on the other hand, Shawn and I always enjoy our week's stay-cation from parenting, too.

Better get to work.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I don't think recording meals is weird. Planning food for the family is a big and sometimes unappreciated part of what we do. Takes creativity and persistence and TIME. Usually, I'd rather cook than sit at a restaurant and wait, however. Ooh, I'm having trouble working today (while Madison is at theatre camp). Getting to it now!

bessie.viola said...

I love seeing meals - I think I might start doing that once in a while as well, if only to hold myself accountable to stick to a plan! ;) I'm trying to write more again, which is going to have to include going back and filling in all the important events I missed, but recording daily life matters too!

It's CRAZY that this summer has already flown by - I'm feeling the same shades of disbelief as you are. I can't believe we're back-to-school shopping already, but at the same time it's a bit of a relief to leave the "summer scramble" behind and settle back into a routine.