Friday, August 5

Parenting-cation

Out of juice at 2:50 on a Friday afternoon. Can't bear the thought of opening up my Product Catalog Word doc. It would be false to pretend I have any good ideas for that project, anyway. There are only so many words -- only so many ways I can write/say the same thing over and over and make it feel new and fresh. I will try again on Monday, maybe. (Or after I let my fingers run here for a bit...)

We've had a really good week. It's such a gift to us, that Mom and Dad still want to host the kids for a week of Camp Grandmommy/Papa Joe. Jill asked me what were Shawn and I going to DO, with the kids gone a whole week?? So far the answer is: We're going to WATCH TV. Shows that WE want to watch. Ha, ha. First choice was the Netflix series "Stranger Things," and we both loved it. We watched 2 episodes a night. Lapped it up -- there were only 8 total. It's very sci-fi, very 80s, but also emotionally gratifying. (On the 80s topic, it reminded me of E.T., The Goonies, Tron, and A Wrinkle In Time, among plenty of other references.) One little character just tugged at my heartstrings. We hope they'll do a 2nd season.

We also watched Mockingjay Part 1, since we're behind on the Hunger Games movies. Excellent. And we've caught up on our Flipping Out recordings. What else? Oh, The EVENING NEWS, aren't we grown-up, and some politics (Libertarian Town Hall). It's a weird freedom, to have full HOURS of time we can fill up with media.

I've tried to do some reading, too. Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin. It's excellent. The writing is unreal. I wish I could spin phrases like she does.

We ate out twice, I think, and plan to order Chinese tonight. (So we can watch something while we eat!!)

Oh, dear. All of a sudden I'm worried for us during retirement. That's something I think about regularly, actually -- when (if) we retire, what in the world are we going to do with ourselves? I guess I'll volunteer at the church or something. Help the choir director sort music. And we talk about how we'll take daily walks (...will we, really?). And sit on the porch. But what ELSE will we do, together? What are our common interests? (Um.) I suppose it'll work itself out, no need to panic. I do still have that 1,500 piece puzzle I bought the kids a year ago. ;)

Some pretty deep thoughts, here. School starts Monday/Wednesday.

1 comment:

bessie.viola said...

Ha! This is something I think about too, and I had a really hilarious moment a few weeks back when I tried to express this to my husband. "But... but what will we DO? We don't have any shared hobbies!!" His take is that we'll surely find some once we have the time, so I'm going with that for now. ;)

Also: SCHOOL!! Hooray!