I also just declined a January meeting of the global marketing team, which will be held in Germany. WHY would I do that, you ask? I mean, free trip to Germany! I'll tell you why: the meeting is scheduled for the day of my Dear Husband's 50th birthday. And I am a loving wife. (It also happens to be a company holiday and who wants to work on a free day off??)
It's not that Shawn cares, actually -- he's told me several times that "it's just another day." But I care. Last time I went to Germany, I left town on Alex's birthday -- what is it with this company and my family's special days?! I hated leaving that day (although I feel like we might have had cake the night before, and he opened presents that morning before I left), but husband's 50th, I mean... that's a significant milestone. A few years back, he planned a very sweet surprise 40th birthday party for me, and I want to plan a party for him this year. I haven't done that since he turned 35 (!), because kids. Yes, we always celebrate adult birthdays as a family, but I'm setting a goal this year to host more dinners at our house anyway, so this is going to be the first one of Q1, 2019.
Does Shawn even want a party? He says he doesn't need one, but if it were me, I think I'd want someone to have a to-do for me on my 50th. And besides, I know he ENJOYS a good party, if it isn't too much trouble to get there (check) and he has people to talk to (check, it will only be people he likes)! So I say it's a go.
I'm thinking about the Saturday before his Monday birthday, maybe late afternoon until ? -- and an all-appetizers, all-party-foods kind of menu. I'm very excited about that, and one of the things I've put into my new planner is a list of food ideas. Jalepeno poppers, chips and dips, wings, shrimp if I'm going "fancy."
Here's where input would be helpful:
- Should I do a cake, or cupcakes? Cupcakes would be infinitely easier if I could get them (make them?) fancy enough... (aaaaand I just opened another tab and clicked on Pinterest. I see a new Board in my future)
- Should we have one special drink, or perhaps a vodka bar (his favorite spirit) with mixer options? Is that even a thing? I've seen bourbon bars, but not vodka.
- Do I have the right serving space for a vodka bar?
- What will we do about kids? Should other people's kids be invited? Maybe not? But will their parents be offended if our kids are there?
- I suppose I should take Christmas down before this party on Jan 19th... will we be able to manage that and clean the house?! Ha!
Well, I have a while, yet. A short while, and a busy one, with Christmas -- and guests at our house, yay! -- in the mix. Wish me luck.
3 comments:
Oh my gosh, your idea for his party sounds PERFECT. I love lots of little appetizers, and they are fun to plan and so many can be simple and easy to prepare/buy in advance. Also, Trader Joe's has A TON of really yummy appetizers, which you may already know.
The vodka bar sounds AWESOME. And I totally think you should do cupcakes. Also, if you want to post about which appetizers you end up making and/or what you do about the cupcakes, I am HERE FOR IT.
That all sounds wonderful! I agree about the cupcakes. I got the really snazzy ones from Publix for Madison's birthday one year and they were a huge hit. There are lemon and red velvet and things like that. I will tell you our theatre appetizers because they are popular and EASY. Buffalo wings from Sam's, hummus (Sabra) and crackers/pita/vegetables, chips and queso and salsa, and peanuts. So maybe we aren't fancy, but hey, it works.
Kids -- that's really tough. I think I'd say no kids. You can have kids, but it's a different kind of party (and not so much fun, usually). I know if I let Madison stay and then invited people, they would ask if their kids could come and hang out with Madison. Just sayin. (So nice that I can say things here that aren't PUBLIC!)
I don't think anyone would be offended if your kids were there but other kids weren't invited. Your kids will probably get bored and hide out after a while anyway.
Post a Comment