Tuesday, February 9

Grateful to have a job. So grateful.

But I'm going to complain for a few paragraphs. I'm sorry.

I just read through my posts from Days 1, 2 and 3 of the initial pandemic lockdown from last March. Wow, that's a mind-trip. First of all, that it's nearly a year ago. Secondly, my question from Day 1: "After the 14 days, will we be expected to go back to normal?" Heavy. Sigh. 

I'm having some trouble feeling productive, again. I don't even have the excuse of the kids being home to distract me, and yet I can't seem to focus. One work-thing the pandemic has caused is longer response times from co-workers. I can email a colleague to ask a question or make a request, and if they're working kinda flex-y time, like all of us are, or they're officially working fewer hours (as some in my company, in other countries, are), it takes at least twice as long to hear back from them than it used to. So projects take longer. Plus, I think everything happening over email causes log-jams in everyone's Inboxes, and things just get overlooked more easily than before. I've been waiting now for 3 business days for a proof to come back on our catalog, which is a massive book, and should have been published in January. I NEED the answers that only this one person can provide. And here I sit, without those answers. (Yes, I have sent the follow-up "Just circling back to this" email.)

Of course, I am also working flex-y time. Yesterday I had to go to Target for some supplies for this weekend's birthday -- baby Kate turns 13! -- and then there was, of course, carpool. Today, it's a kid's dentist appointment. Fits and starts. Never a long stretch of deep work, it seems.

So it's frustrating, because then my task becomes overdue and the "Completed" box never gets checked off. I NEED checked-off boxes! They keep me sane. 

No comments: