Monday, March 16

Pandemic Diary 2020: Day 1-ish

I feel like this coronavirus shutdown of the U.S. is a prime opportunity for blogging! Blogs are all we'll have! When we're so sick of reading news and analysis and non-official social media posts making us think they ARE official, we'll need our bloggers to lighten the mood a bit, right? We'll need each other's voices, to feel like a community. We'll need to commisserate about being at home with our kids! Just like the original mommy-blog days! Also, it's the right thing to do to preserve these strange days for historians of the future.

I have about 15 minutes this morning -- well, I have more than that, I'm working from home -- to jot down a few thoughts, and then I have to get to work writing my company's COVID-19 letter to customers. This is how it is when you're a Marketing Communications Specialist in the year 2020!

So. Last week on Thursday, March 12, 2020, Cobb County, GA made the decision to close schools starting today, for an indefinite length of days. Kate's Catholic school (St Joseph Catholic School -- I feel like I need named details for history, even though this is an anonymous blog and private, but you know?) followed suit on Friday, although they already had Friday and today as holidays, so they won't "start" until tomorrow. Both systems declared there will be online distance learning and that these will not be "days off." We're lucky that our school is in an area where it's not a problem for most families (they have internet, and computers, generally), but the county said they would deliver equipment and materials to students who do not have access to them at home -- interesting).

I had already planned to work from home today but now I'm hopeful I will be working home all week -- we'll see, though. My boss hasn't said that, specifically. He has said he wants us to "feel comfortable," and if we don't feel comfortable coming to the office, that's okay, but I feel like that's a non-answer. I wish he would say, "If you have the means to work from home (a laptop), then please do that." It seems to be what most companies are telling employees. Shawn's already left for work. He doesn't really have a job that can be done at home much, or so we've thought all these years. Maybe they'll change their tune after this (but I doubt it).

Last Friday, we drove 4 hours to go visit my MIL in Savannah. The plans were on the books already, and she lives alone and we hadn't seen her in ages. And it was her birthday. I wasn't sure we should, but I also didn't feel like there was any serious danger. We wouldn't be in any crowds, just seeing family -- her, and also my BIL and SIL and their 3 girls. And that's who we did see. We went out to lunch on Saturday. Should we have? Don't know for sure, but there were plenty of other people out and about - of course it was St Patrick's Day weekend in Savannah, so some were tourists and others were locals who are used to this being a celebratory weekend. We did sit outdoors, on purpose, so as not to be too closed in with others.  (At least in my mind, that's why we sat outdoors.) It was a beautiful, sunny day and around 74 degrees, so that was pleasant.

Some of my questions about all this include:

  • Will the kids at St Joe's finish their standaradized testing, which was supposed to be going on this week? 
  • Will the schools try to add on a few days at the end of the year?
  • Will the social distancing be over by then, or will our summer camp also close? 
  • Will the online learning be successful, or will the kids finish all the work quickly and then do nothing most of these days off? 
  • Will Alex get to take his AP exam on time, and will he do as well as he'd have done without the weird interruption in class-time? 
  • Will Kate do better at home if I'm here, helping her stay on task, or if I go to my office? Sometimes she gets things done on days when I'm NOT here (no one to whine to)...
  • Will we have enough food, actually? We did some shopping and stocking up, but need a few additional things (meat -- the store was completely out of meat last Friday when Shawn went).
  • After 14 days, will we all be expected to go back to normal? Will this "work?" Will it actually be safe then, or will we have more cases pop up? 
  • Do I have enough hand soap?
  • Do I have enough coffee?

I need to get to work, but more to follow.

No comments: